[UPDATED PDF (January 2022)].
Foscolo Europe Research Fellow, University of Padova. [October 2020 - ] Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Toulouse School of Economics. [December 2019 - October 18, 2020]Postdoctoral Research Fellow, CORE, Universitè catholique de Louvain. [October 2018 - November 2019]Associate Lecturer, University of York. [September 2017 - September 2018]
Ph.D in Economics, University of York. M.Sc. in Economics, University of York. M.A. in Political Science, University of Bari. B.A. in Political Science, University of Bari. 
Grants & Awards
Grants & Awards
- NET Institute Summer Grant 2021.
- project on platform liability and innovation (with Doh-Shin Jeon & Yassine Lefouili)
- UNICREDIT Foundation Foscolo Europe fellowship at the University of Padua.
- 8th Giorgio Rota Best Paper Award 2020 for Young Researchers by Centro Einaudi.
- FSR "MOVE-IN" Postdoctoral Fellowship (2018-2020) at UCLouvain:
- project on "the cost of hiding: content quality, social welfare, and privacy concerns". Host: prof. Paul Belleflamme.
- Sir Alec Cairncross Prize for the best paper by a young researcher at the SES Conference 2017.
- Scottish Economic Society - Small Grants Scheme (2018):
- project on "light cannabis and organized crime in Italy". (with Vincenzo Carrieri & Francesco Principe)
- ESRC 3-year Doctoral Grant - White Rose Doctoral Training Center (2014-2017)
- project for a PhD thesis in theoretical industrial economics (supervisor: Dr. Bipasa Datta).
- University of York, Ellis Hunter Teaching Scholarships (2017).
- Royal Economic Society - Conference Grant (2018).
- ESRC Research Activity Top-Up (White Rose Doctoral Training Center).
Invited Seminars2021:UB Barcelona (scheduled); Hitosbubashi University (scheduled)
2021:Bozen, Toulouse Business School.
2020:WU Wien (Vienna University of Economics and Business); Padova; ESMT Berlin; Bank of Italy; ZEW (Mannheim); DICE (Duesseldorf); University of Rome Tor Vergata; Paris- Saclay; MACCI/EPoS Virtual IO Seminar (Mannheim), TSE Digital Seminar.
Conferences & Workshops
Conferences & Workshops
2022: MACCI (Mannheim); Paris Digital Conference (Paris),; NERI Workshop (Genoa, scheduled), Berkeley-Padova-Paris Workshop in Organizational Economics (Padova, scheduled).
2021:14th Digital Economics Conference, TSE. MACCI (Mannheim), IIOC (online), TWINE (Trento, online), OLIGO (Maastricht), SMYE (Bologna, scheduled), EARIE (Bergen), CESIfo Economics of Digitization (online), Italian Law&Econ Conference (Trento), 10th EIEF-UNIBO-IGIER Workshop on IO (Bologna)
2020:CCP Annual Conference. SIEP (online). CESIfo Economics of Digitization.
2019:CESifo Conference "Economics of Digitization", Munich.Empirical Microeconomics Workshop, Bozen.EARIE, Barcelona.ZEW ICT, Mannheim.CEPR on Applied Industrial Organisation, Madrid.OLIGO, Nottingham.Auctions, Competition, Regulation, and Public Policy, Lancaster.Spring Meeting of Young Economists, Brussels.IIOC, Boston.Annual Seminar on Media and the Digital Economy, EUI.NERI - Networks of the Economics of Regulation and Institutions, Rome Sacred Heart University.SIEPI 2019, Rome Tre.12th Digital Economics Conference, TSE.
2018:CESifo Conference "Economics of Digitization", Munich.SIE (Italian Economic Society), Bologna.AIE (Italian Health Economics Society), Naples.EARIE, Athens.IBEO Workshop, Alghero.Workshop in Economics of Digitization, Paris.Industrial Organization of the Digital Economy, Liège.Workshop in Industrial and Public Economics, Reus.
2019:UK Competition and Markets Authority; UK OFCOM; Telecom Paris (Institut Polytechnique de Paris); Brown Bag DICE (Duesseldorf); Liverpool Management School.
2018:HEC Liège; University of Bari; University of Salerno.
2017:EEA-ESEM, Lisbon.Digital Economics Summer Programme, Paris.Spanish Economic Association, Barcelona.IBEO Workshop, Alghero.OLIGO 2017, Moscow.ZEW-CISS Competition and Innovation Summer School.Scottish Economic Conference, Perth.Industrial Organization of the Digital Economy, Liège.
2016:BiGSEM Workshop on Economic Theory, Bielefeld.SIE (Italian Economic Society), Milan.SIEP (Italian Public Economics), Conference, Lecce.Italian Econometric Association, Workshop in Empirical Economics and Econometrics, Perugia.Network of Industrial Economists - Doctoral Colloquium, Nottingham.RES (Royal Economics Society), Symposium of Young Researches, Brighton.Workshop in Industrial and Public Economics, Reus.
2015:ERSA, Lisbon.SIET (Italian Association for Research in Transport Economics), Milan.
- American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, European Economic Review, Health Economics, Information Economics and Policy, IZA Journal of Labor Economics, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Industrial and Business Economics/Economia e Politica Industriale, Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, Journal of Regulatory Economics, RAND Journal of Economics, REGION, Review of Network Economics, The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics (BEJTE), Urban Studies, International Journal of Revenue Management.
- Spring Meeting of Young Economists (SMYE 2018, 2019, 2021), International Conference on Information Systems (2019).
- Industrial Organization: Markets & Strategies, Department of Economics and Management, University of Padua (2021)
- Economics, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York (Summer 2018)
- Applied Environmental Economics, Department of Environment, University of York (Spring 2017)
- Introductory Economics, Department of Environment, University of York (Autumn 2017 - Spring 2018)
- Economics of Digital Markets, Department of Economics and Management, University of Padua (2021)
- Economics 1, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York (Autumn 2017)
Publications* ASN:A indicates publications that are ranked "A" for the Italian habilitation to Associate Professor.
*Yiquan Gu, Leonardo Madio, Carlo Reggiani (2021). "Data brokers co-opetition". OXFORD ECONOMICS PAPERS. Forthcoming
*Vincenzo Carrieri, Leonardo Madio, Francesco Principe (2020). "Do-it-Yourself medicine? The impact of (unintended) light cannabis liberalization on prescription drugs", JOURNAL OF HEALTH ECONOMICS.. 74, 102371.
*Vincenzo Carrieri, Leonardo Madio, Francesco Principe (2019). "Light Cannabis and Organized Crime: Evidence from (Unintended) Liberalization in Italy", EUROPEAN ECONOMIC REVIEW, 113, 63–76.
*Vincenzo Carrieri, Leonardo Madio, Francesco Principe (2019) "Vaccine hesitancy and (fake) news: Quasi-experimental evidence from Italy", HEALTH ECONOMICS. 28:1377–1382.
*Angela Stefania Bergantino, Leonardo Madio (2019). "Intra- and inter-regional commuting. Assessing the role of wage differentials", PAPERS IN REGIONAL SCIENCE. 98(29),1085-1114.
*Angela Stefania Bergantino, Leonardo Madio (2020). "Intermodal competition and substitution. HSR versus air transport: Understanding the socio-economic determinants of modal choice". RESEARCH IN TRANSPORTATION ECONOMICS 79.