The Legal Summer Institute
June 4 - June 29, 2018
Jump start your legal career with a unique summer program sponsored by Google and its partner law firms!
Google invites you to apply to the 2018 Legal Summer Institute, a four week educational leadership program for underrepresented law students who are attending ABA-accredited law schools in the U.S. Upon acceptance into the program, scholars will spend the first week attending career development and legal-education sessions led by Google Internal Counsel in Silicon Valley. The remaining three weeks will be spent working side-by-side with firm attorneys at Google's partner law firms.
Each scholar will be matched with a lead mentor at their host law firms and will have the opportunity to work with various lawyers over the course of the program. Scholars will be expected to make substantive contributions to the work of their assigned law firm.
By the end of the program, scholars will walk away with:
- An understanding of how in-house attorneys provide value to their company.
- An understanding of what clients expect from outside counsel lawyers.
- An understanding of the different legal strategies that a client may pursue.
- Hands on experience working as a lawyer at a law firm.
- Key business relationships and how to navigate them effectively.
Who Should Apply
Students who are members of a group that is historically underrepresented in the legal field are encouraged to apply. All applicants should possess the following qualities:
- Demonstrate academic excellence
- Be a 1L full-time law student or a 2L part-time law student at an ABA-approved law school (Class of 2020).
- Demonstrated or stated commitment to diversity in the legal profession
- Be able to provide proof of United States work authorization
All scholars will be paid a competitive four-week salary by Google partner law firms and receive a travel stipend from Google.
The program start dates will be June 4, 2018 and end date will be June 29, 2018.
- Week 1: June 4 - June 8, 2018: Google Silicon Valley
- Weeks 2-4: June 11 - June 29, 2018: Google U.S. Partner Law Firm (location TBD)
- Unofficial Undergraduate school transcript
- Unofficial Law School transcript
- Other Graduate School transcript (if applicable)
- Highest LSAT Score
- Optional 2-minute video explaining why you are a good fit for the program
- Essay 1: The Legal Summer Institute Program is an opportunity to grow your skills and gain exposure to the relationship that in-house attorneys have with outside counsel law firms. In 500 words or less, please tell us about your long and short terms goals and how this program may fit into that.
- Essay 2: In 200 words or less, please describe how you have, or plan to work towards achieving inclusion, diversity and equity in the legal industry.