Cyberbullying & Internet Safety Presentation
Join Us Tuesday, December 4th, at 7 p.m. immediately following the PTA Meeting for this important presentation for parents.
Worried about what your child may be experiencing online? Join us for this insightful presentation by the FCPS Office of Student Safety and Wellness.
Does your child have access to any one of the following mediums:
- Cell phones with Internet access?
- Online games played through the Internet?
- Game systems (XBox, Play Station, or Nintendo)?
- Social media networks?
- Youtube, Vimeo, or other video-sharing platforms?
- Filtered or unfiltered access to the Internet?
If you answered "Yes" about one or more items on the list, Tuesday night’s event is perfect for you.
Lane Elementary and the Lane PTA will host Alicia Clarke, specialist from the FCPS Office of Student Safety and Wellness, who will share how all caregivers can keep children safe online.
What will you learn in this session? Here are 12 questions that will be answered.
- What is cyberbullying?
- What are the origins of cyberbullying?
- How do you identify cyberbullying?
- What’s the difference between cyberbullying and regular bullying?
- What can parents do about cyberbullying?
- What’s the difference between bullying and harassment?
- How can parents keep children safe in a digital world?
- What social media apps are currently trending?
- What is and is not too much information to share online?
- What is Internet permanence (how what you share online never goes away)?
- How do you lose control of information shared online? (Once you post it, it's gone.)
- What’s the difference between appropriate and inappropriate pictures?
In addition, those who attend the event will walk away with the following action steps:
- A list of topics and talking points to use when speaking to children about Internet safety;
- Ways to engage with a child about Internet safety; and
- A list of resources through Fairfax County Public Schools about Internet safety and cyberbullying that is available to all parents and caregivers.
You’ll walk away from Tuesday’s session with a firm grasp of what it means to be to raise strong, safe, responsible digital citizens in 2018.
We hope to see you Tuesday night!
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2018
Time: 7 to 8:30 p.m.
(Unfortunately, childcare will NOT be available for this presentation.)