600 Years of Soap Bubble Fun, Play, Performance, Science, Tips, Tricks, Advice, Facts & Opinions. :: Have Fun. Play together. Be Well. Do Good.
Created by: Keith Johnson. Bubble Shows, Coaching & Consulting @ BubbleArtist.com
Bubbles have been very good to me. The debt of gratitude I feel toward our ForeBubblers is intense. SoapBubbler.com is my way of saying, "Thanks! & let us all remember to give credit where the credit is due." Right?
1. Documents (for the first time & as best I can) the origin and evolution of bubble play and performance. Everything up to the Big-Bang of modern bubble entertainment: January 5, 1983 (More about that below.)
2. Includes cutting-edge tips, techniques, favored prop materials & construction ideas, personal opinions & etc from my own workshop & experience. Pros and novices alike will find plenty to chew on within this site.
My hope: All this information will prompt you to create new ways we all can have more fun playing with bubbles.
Carpe Diem my bubble friends. Keep in touch.
Keith Michael Johnson
SoapBubbler.com Highlights include:
- The first description of bubble tricks in writing & some of these tricks have not been done since! Dr. Thomas Percival. 1786.
- Tom Tit's Bubble Ferris Wheel & Bubble Incandescent Light and how to build them. 1892
- First evidence of KIB (Kid In Bubble) trick. Also, in the same book, Kittens In Bubbles with instructions. The stove top boiling bubble demo is also pretty cool.
- An Excellent bubble party how-to with Games & Entertainment from 1884.
- C. V. Boy's classic Soap-Bubbles And The Forces Which Mould Them
About the birth of modern soap bubble entertainment.....
The bubble revolution of 1983
On the evening of January 5, 1983, bubble-play as entertainment clicked over to a modern age. This was Tom Noddy's first appearance on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. (Video below.) That night millions of people around the world witnessed the future of bubble entertainment. Tom's act was stunning. His tricks were fresh, innovative and wonderful. His comedy patter intensified viewers appreciation of the tricks. Tom was the first to take advantage of the potential of modern bubble solutions. (About: the evolution of bubble solutions.)
Tom's Cube, Carousel, Jewels, new techniques for Bubbles Inside Bubbles, Volcanos and Wiggly Worms were soon copied (right or wrong) by others. They have become the core content of many if not most bubble acts. Tom's hugely popular & influential 1988 book BUBBLE MAGIC cemented his place as the Godfather of modern bubble entertainment.
Visit Tom's website:
Modern bubble entertainment is easy to learn about, what with YouTube, web searches and all.
Discovering the fun that people had with bubbles before Tom's 1983 performance is what has interested me since 2001. That difficult to find history is a major part of this website.
The most frequently asked question? "What is the best bubble solution?" For kids? For experiments? To use in shows?
Always. Unconditionally. Without reservation. My answer is: Uncle Bubble's Ultra Bubble Concentrate.
After trying everything else, UBC is my choice to make 100% of the bubbles in my shows. I'm not alone. More pros around the world use it than any other solution.