Dr. Xu, Jiayi (徐佳逸)
Jiayi Xu is a research scientist at Meta AI. Jiayi received his Ph.D. degree in computer science and engineering from The Ohio State University, where he was part of the GRAVITY research group and was advised by Prof. Han-Wei Shen. Jiayi received his bachelor's degree in computer science and technology from Chu Kochen Honors College, Zhejiang University. Jiayi aims to augment human capabilities, explore scientific principles, and bring the world closer through computational techniques.
Jiayi was the recipient of Best Paper Award at the 14th IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (IEEE PacificVis, 2021). Jiayi has coauthored 8 papers in top-tier venues, including IEEE TVCG and IEEE VIS.
High-Performance Data Analysis, Visualization, and Machine Learning
Graph/Network Analysis, Visualization, and Learning
Distributed and Parallel Computing
Asynchronous and Load-Balanced Union-Find for Distributed and Parallel Scientific Data Visualization and Analysis
Jiayi Xu, Hanqi Guo, Han-Wei Shen, Mukund Raj, Xueyun Wang, Xueqiao Xu, Zhehui Wang, Tom Peterka
Best Paper Award at the 14th IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis 2021)
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (IEEE TVCG), 27(6): 2808-2820, 2021.
TelCoVis: Visual Exploration of Co-occurrence in Urban Human Mobility Based on Telco Data
Wenchao Wu, Jiayi Xu, Haipeng Zeng, Yixian Zheng, Huamin Qu, Bing Ni, Mingxuan Yuan, Lionel M Ni
My contribution: I constructed and implemented the entire visual-analytics system. I also designed the algorithm of the contour-based treemap visualization.
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (IEEE TVCG), 22(1): 935-944, 2016. (Proc. IEEE VIS 2015)
- May 2021 - Aug 2021: Intern at Facebook AI, Mentor: Dr. Yen-Jung Chang
- May 2019 - Aug 2019: Intern at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), Mentors: Dr. Hanqi Guo and Dr. Tom Peterka
- May 2018 - Aug 2018: Intern at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), Mentor: Dr. Jonathan Lee Woodring
- Sep 2014 - Jun 2015: Research Assistant at VisLab of HKUST and Noah's Ark Lab, Advisor: Prof. Huamin Qu
- Jul 2013 - Dec 2013: Visiting Scholar at VIDI Lab of UC-Davis, Advisor: Prof. Kwan-Liu Ma
- Sep 2010 - Jun 2014: Undergraduate Research Assistant at VAG, State Key Lab of CAD&CG of ZJU, Advisors: Prof. Wei Chen and Prof. Hujun Bao
Teaching at The Ohio State University
- Spring 2021: CSE 5541/3541: Computer Game and Animation Techniques
- Autumn 2017: CSE 1110: Introduction to Computing Technology
- Spring 2018: CSE 5544: Introduction to Data Visualization
- Spring 2016: CSE 2331: Foundations II: Data Structures and Algorithms
- Autumn 2015: CSE 5241/3241: Introduction to Database Systems
Journal Paper Reviewer
- IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), 2020-2021
- ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), 2020
- Computer Graphics Forum (CGF), 2020-2021
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS), 2022
Conference Paper Reviewer
- IEEE Visualization Conference (VIS), 2022 (3)
- Eurographics/IEEE VGTC Symposium on Visualization (EuroVis), 2018, 2021-2022
- IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis), 2019-2021, 2022 (2)
- International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC), 2021
- China Visualization and Visual Analytics Conference (ChinaVis), 2019 and 2021
- "Asynchronous and Load-Balanced Union-Find for Distributed and Parallel Scientific Data Visualization and Analysis", IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (IEEE PacificVis), Virtual, April 19-21, 2021. [recording]
- "Geometry-Driven Detection, Tracking and Visual Analysis of Viscous and Gravitational Fingers", IEEE Visualization Conference (IEEE VIS), Virtual, October 24-29, 2020. [recording]
- "Neural Network Pruning: A Short Survey Centering on Lottery-Ticket-Hypothesis", Facebook AI Machine Learning Foundation (MLF) seminar, Virtual, July 29, 2021.