Jazzpianousa - Homepage for Reuel Lubag, Jazz Pianist, Drummer, Arranger
Contact Us Today!
The Reuel Lubag Trio is a group committed to excellence in the tradition of Oscar Peterson, Wynton Kelly, Bud Powell, Ahmad Jamal, Monty Alexander, Cedar Walton, Sonny Clark, McCoy Tyner, et al. The group combines the traditions of the piano trio along with many of the more progressive and energetic styles of jazz including Bebop, Hardbop and the more Modern styles like the Avant Garde and Thirdstream.
These are the ideals that the group is committed to in its presentation of music.
The Reuel Lubag Trio is available for performances and clinics in your area.
Reuel Lubag is one of the well established jazz artists in the Pacific Northwest jazz scene. He wears a lot of hats as a pianist, drummer, bassist, arranger, recording engineer, producer, and videographer. Reuel is a graduate of Central Washington University with a Bachelor of Arts(Theory & Composition) degree in Music. He has toured with several of the great 'ghost' big bands of the swing era, such as Glenn Miller, Cab Calloway, and Tommy Dorsey Bands. Reuel has served as an educator and clinician and has worked at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, Port Townsend Jazz Festival, LA Hot Jazz Festival, among others. Reuel also served as a Jazz Ambassador for the US Department of State in 2014 in the American Music Abroad program as part of the Native Jazz Quartet. This year Reuel and NJQ founder Ed Littlefield prepared a special Earth Day video for American Music Abroad with an original duo compostion. Reuel is greatly involved as a regular performer at the non-profit Jazz Clubs NW performance space in North Bend, Boxleys.
His resume of performances over the years have included: John Birks(Dizzy) Gillespie, Joe Williams, Doc Severinsen, Pete Barbutti, Steve Allen, Bud Shank, Glenn Miller Orchestra. Terry Gibbs, Mills Brothers, Buddy Greco, Barbara McNair, Fran Jeffries, Peanuts Hucko, Louise Tobin, Herb Jeffries, Ernestine Anderson, Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, Tommy Dorsey Orchestra, Cab Calloway Orchestra, Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, Wayne Newton, Bruce Forman, Steve Lippia, Dee Daniels, Ron Eschete, Native Jazz Quartet, Winard Harper, Jason Marsalis, Edward Littlefield , Michael Glynn, Julian MacDonough, Christian Fabian, Floyd Standifer, Buddy Catlett, Kelley Johnson, Kelly Eisenhour, John Hansen, Jay Thomas, Bill Ramsay, Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra, Clarence Acox, Greg Williamson, Danny Kolke, and many others.
* Thursday, May 25, 2023, Crossroads Mall, Bellevue, WA - Jazz Clubs NW - Student Jam Session, 6:00 p.m. All ages welcome. Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Saturday, May 27, 2023, Boxley's - Jazz Clubs NW, North Bend, WA - Reuel Lubag Quintet. Reuel Lubag - Piano, Michael Van Bebber - Trumpet, Steve Treseler - Tenor Sax, Michael Olivola - Acoustic Bass, Steve Korn - Drums, 8:00 p.m. - Limited seating and Livestream available. No reservations required. All ages welcome. Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Sunday, May 28, 2023, Romeo's Pizza and Pasta, Edmonds, WA - Jazz Clubs NW - Student Jam Session, 3:00 p.m. All ages welcome. Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Saturday, June 3, 2023, Edmonds' Jazz Walk - @Kelnero Bar, Edmonds, WA - w/Kelly Eisenhour & Sage Eisenhour, 7:00 p.m. All ages welcome. For tickets: https://www.edmondsjazzwalk.com/
Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Thursday, June 8, 2023, Crossroads Mall, Bellevue, WA - Jazz Clubs NW - Student Jam Session, 6:00 p.m. All ages welcome. Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Thursday, June 22, 2023, Crossroads Mall, Bellevue, WA - Jazz Clubs NW - Student Jam Session, 6:00 p.m. All ages welcome. Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Sunday, June 25, 2023, Romeo's Pizza and Pasta, Edmonds, WA - Jazz Clubs NW - Student Jam Session, 3:00 p.m. All ages welcome. Donations to Boxley's Music Fund accepted
* Saturday, August 12, 2023, Private Event, Seattle, WA - w/Greg Schroeder Trio, Greg Schroeder - Trombone, Reuel Lubag - Piano, Chris Symer - Acoustic Bass. 5:00 p.m.
Boxley's events streaming online at:
Jazz Clubs NW - Boxley's - North Bend, WA
Rockfish Grill & Anacortes Brewery - Anacortes, WA
Lighthouse Bar & Grill @ Hotel Bellwether - Bellingham, WA
North City Bistro & Wine Bar - Shoreline, WA
Whatcom Jazz Music Arts Center - Bellingham, WA
Dimitriou's Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA
Pat's Pub - Vancouver B.C.
Frankie's Jazz Club - Vancouver B.C.
Tangent Cafe - Vancouver B.C.
Herman's Jazz Club - Victoria B.C.
Music texts and other resources
Charlie Parker Omnibook - Recordings of songs to follow/play along and learn phrasing
Oscar Peterson Jazz Piano Technique Book – Oscar's personal technique book, published by Ray Brown Publishing, very rare
Count Basie & Quincy Jones Fake Book – Great collection of tunes played by the Basie Band or Quincy's band.
John Coltrane Patterns – A book of Coltrane's improv patterns in twelve keys.
Les Wise Bebop Bible – A book with an approach to learning Bebop phrases and patterns
The Real Book Of Blues – Yet Another “Real” Book with Blues and Blues tinged songs
The Harmony Of Bill Evans – A book that breaks down Bill Evans' harmonic concept
Bill Evans Piano Solos – A book of solo piano arrangements by Bill Evans
Misc. Transcriptions – A collection of transcriptions I've done
Reuel Lubag Jazz Piano Materials Page (Sibelius Website – requires Scorch plug-in)
Fake Books - A small variety to peruse for reference, as needed. Not recommended for aspiring musicians who really want to learn how to play.
Monty Alexander - Estate'
Monty Alexander - Lil' Darlin'
Monty Alexander - Live @ The Bird Of Paradise
Monty Alexander - Live In Europe
Milt Jackson & Monty Alexander - Soul Fusion
Dexter Gordon - Tower Of Power
Dexter Gordon - More Power
Bobby Watson, Benny Green, Christian McBride, Gregory Hutchinson - Live@Bradley's
Mike Stern - Live At The 55 Bar
Barry Harris - Barry Harris Videos on YouTube @ Royal Conservatory - The Hague 1989-1998
Barry Harris - Barry Harris breaks down Jazz Theory @ Lincoln Center Jazz Academy
Part One : Part Two : Part Three : Part Four : Part Five : Part Six : Part Seven