The ICWSM Science Slam 2019
What is a Science Slam?
A Science Slam is an epic scientific event where scientists compete with short talks about research. It's just like a poetry slam, but with science instead of poems. Slammers are completely free to do whatever they want on stage, everything is allowed including slides, games, the more creative, the better! The only two rules are:
- The topic of the slam has to be related to social media or data science
- Presentations should not take more than 8 minutes
Why should I attend?
- Because you will never have a better chance to listen to the most engaging talks at ICWSM
- Because you get to choose the winner
- To listen to this great line-up!
- Nikos Lykousas: Towards a data-driven utopia
- Ramtin Yazdanian: Forecast for Java: Trending with a chance of MOOCs
- Kiran Garimella: Reducing Polarization on Social Media
- Pınar Barlas and Kyriakos Kyriakou: A loveable babe, pizza face: Automated tagging of people images
- Agnes Horvat: He Sang, She Sang: Gender Dynamics in the Music Industry
- Gareth Tyson: Putting the 'De' into the Decentralised Web
- Cristian Consonni: Wandering the WikiLinkGraphs
- Gabriel Fair: Mapping human belief systems with Noosphere
- Damian Kowalczyk: Popularity prediction uncompromised
Why should I present at the ICWSM Science Slam?
- Because people will think you are awesome
- Because there will be lots of beer to fuel the brain of your audience to help them deeply engage in your research
- Because you could become the epic winner chosen by the audience!
I'm in! What do I have to do to present?
Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a short proposal of your topic for the slam before May 11th, 2019.
We will choose the best slammer candidates, based on (i) the scientific quality, on (ii) the novelty of the topic, and on (iii) the potential for giving an engaging talk.
Where is Substanz?
In Munich, Ruppertstr. 28: https://www.substanz-club.de/
How to reach it from the conference? On foot or by public transportation.
How funny are the ICWSM Science Slams?
Check out the videos of previous ICWSM Science Slams at the Youtube channel:
Who is responsible for this crazy idea?