Highland Park Reflections 2020 is here!
What is Reflections?
Reflections is an art contest sponsored by the National PTA. Every year schools across the country participate and send winning entries through regional and state competitions, all the way to the national competition in Washington D.C.
It’s all pretty exciting, but Reflections is about so much more than awards. Reflections provides students an outlet to create and share as they process their inner world. Even more exciting, it gives adults a chance to honor and recognize our students for their creativity.
How do I participate?
1. REFLECT- With your student, consider this year’s theme, “I matter because…” What does this mean to you?
2. DECIDE- Choose which categories you are going to participate in. Go here for a general overview or click the links below for more specific information:
*All Essential Elements/504 Students are invited to participate! Accommodations can be made through our Special Artist Division.
3. CREATE- Using the theme, create your original work. Be sure to read the official rules for your category!
4. SUBMIT- Visit the Utah PTA Reflections Website. Create an account, upload entry and student information.
5. CELEBRATE- Visit our virtual gallery to see YOUR artwork featured online!
All Submissions due Online November 13th
Basic Entry Guidelines:
· NEW in 2020 – All entries must be submitted online (more information below).
· All Highland Park Students are eligible.
· Students may submit only one entry for each of the 7 categories. All entries are due November 13.
· Photos should be taken and submitted of all 2D & 3D artwork and uploaded for submission. Photos should be clear and the artwork should be visible in good lighting.
· A parent/guardian must provide permission during the online submission process.
· Artwork must be the ORIGINAL work of only one student. Multiple people may perform a dance or appear in a video, photo, or musical composition, but the creator must be one student.
· Please be careful of any copyright infringements. Artwork that contains any trademarked or copyrighted images or references will be disqualified. This includes logos and characters from books, movies or games.
· Interpretation of Theme is HALF of the total judges score, so students should spend time thinking about their Artist Statement. Students should explain how their art relates to the Reflections theme. This year’s theme is “I Matter Because…”
· Artwork will be judged by professionals/individuals with experience in the relevant field.
· Students who are awarded a Certificate of Excellence in either 2D Visual Art or Photography and are advanced to the next level of judging will be notified. At this point you will need to deliver their artwork to the school (only after judging takes place).
· All students will receive an award and certificate for participating.
How to Submit Artwork Online
This year all entries will be submitted online. Before November 13, parents should visit the Utah PTA Reflections Website. Click on the blue “Submit Reflections Entries.” A parent or guardian will need to create an account and can then upload the project and student information. You can submit entries for multiple students through the same online family account, no matter which grade level or school in Salt Lake City district.
A parent/guardian must give permission through the online system for a student to participate.
For more help submitting online:
Official Reflections Rules:
· November 13 – Reflections Entries Due Online
· Early December – Highland Park Virtual Gallery
· Mid January – Reflections Region Level Awards
Questions or Special Accommodations? Contact Tiani at firstname.lastname@example.org.