Hawkwell & Hockley
Home & Contact
Hawkwell & Hockley Residents Association - Join Us - Help Us to Help You
Information about membership, contacting us and about us below:
Hawkwell & Hockley Need You
The Practice Hawkwell
The Hawkwell Surgery has reopened and are now taking flu injection appointments.
Due to the Coronavirus situation your Hawkwell & Hockley Residents Association have decided for safety reason not to produce a newsletter this year. As you are aware, apart from supplying information on local issues, we also use it to generate funds from our annual membership reminder. These funds are mainly used to pay for newsletter printing, our website and AGM venue cost. It is doubtful that we will be able to resume any meetings during 2020, including our AGM, although we would hope to produce our annual audit as usual.
There is not a lot going on locally with council work at the moment but any local issues that we believe will be of interest to residents and members we will convey to you using our email list, social media and our website. If you would like to be added to our email list of around 150 residents, please email our Vice Chair Alan James at: firstname.lastname@example.org Please note we only email out using blind carbon copy (bcc) so others do not see your email address.
We would like to thank you for your support in the past and hope you will continue to support us in the future.
Stay safe out there. Your Hawkwell & Hockley Residents Association committee.
All are welcome to attend our Hockley Monthly Meetings to discuss current issues effecting Hawkwell & Hockley. Meetings are normally held on the second Tuesday of each month (see our "Events Calendar" page) at 7.30pm in Greensward Academy normally in Room GG27 of the Creative Arts Block next to the main car park. We believe Hawkwell and Hockley is a great place to live and although nowhere can stay as it is without some changes, we only want changes that improve our area. We also support our shops and businesses for local employment and encourage visitors by checking and reporting that all local facilities are maintained to a good standard. We may be able to help with issues you have in your area. With the restricted resources we have we cannot guarantee we will resolve your issues but we may be able to point you in the right direction. We are all volunteers and not a political organisation. You can get involved or just support us with your membership.
Please join us and help us to help you the residents of Hawkwell and Hockley. If you have not already joined or renewed your membership with us for 2019, subscriptions are just £1 per person and you can post it or put it through the door in an envelope together with your details to: Hawkwell & Hockley Residents Association, 2 Englefield Close, Hawkwell, SS5 4LE or 25B Belchamps Way, Hawkwell, SS5 4NT. No cash by post please, however 1st and 2nd class stamps only or cheques payable to “Hawkwell Residents Association” are fine.
I enclose £…………. being my / our subscription for this year (£1 per person per calendar year) together with any additional voluntary donation. In order to reduce costs a receipt will not be issued unless a stamped addressed envelope is enclosed. Please supply your name, address, phone number and email address using block capitals.
Is there a problem in Hawkwell or Hockley that you would like us to address or help you with? Have you a suggestion or comment on the website? You may email Alan James on email@example.com as cost now prevents contact by post.
Where are Hawkwell & Hockley? Hawkwell and Hockley are villages in the county of Essex in the south east of the UK (map) with a population of just over 11,000 and 10,000 respectively.
Why were we formed? We were formed in 1994 in response to the proposed local golf course on green belt farmland backing onto Rectory Road adjacent to Clements Hall Leisure Centre in Hawkwell. Planning permission for the golf course was finally refused. We decided to keep the association running as a voice for the people of our area.
What are our aims? We aim to advise and assist members on a whole range of issues. To protect and maintain local green belt. To publish and deliver to all households in the parishes of Hawkwell and Hockley regular newsletter keeping residents informed of local issues and activities. To promote social events and support charities by general fund raising. To hold monthly committee meetings inviting members as necessary.
Who can join us? Any person over 18 and residing in the parish of Hawkwell or Hockley. The current membership subscription is £1 per person per calendar year. The association is non-political and any person requesting to become a member of the Committee should not actively represent, support or work for any political organisation without Committee approval. Membership for those living outside the Parish may be granted at the discretion of the committee. Corporate membership is available at the discretion of the committee.
Our Chair is: Angela Heath, 2 Englefield Close, Hawkwell, Essex SS5 4LE.
Our Vice Chair is: Alan James, 25B Belchamps Way, Hawkwell, Essex SS5 4NT.
Our websites is: www.hawkwell-hockley.co.uk
Our Constitution is:
Hawkwell & Hockley Residents Association Constitution
1. The Association aims and objectives are to protect and promote the interests of the residents of the parishes of Hawkwell and Hockley with particular emphasis on the maintenance of local green belt. To produce a regular newsletter to keep residents informed about local current affairs. To give advice, help and assist our members on a whole range of local issues that may affect them and provide a monthly meeting to act as a regular and informal focus and forum for the local community. When able, to promote a social circle of events based on the Association and to support local charities by general fund raising. The Association is a non political organisation.
2. Membership of the Association shall be open to any person of eighteen years and above residing in the electoral area of Hawkwell and Hockley who support the Association’s aims and objectives. Membership for those of eighteen years and above living outside of the electoral area of Hawkwell and Hockley can be granted at the discretion of the Committee. Corporate Membership in fulfilment of either of these conditions is available at the discretion of the Committee and is treated as a single member for voting and other purposes.
3. The governing body of the Association shall consist of a committee of Officers undertaking the following positions: Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Social Organiser - together with other Association Members making a committee of up to a maximum of ten. An Association Meeting will not vote on any proposal unless a quorum exists - a quorum will be four of whom one must be an Officer. Any Member who has been elected to a local council and represents the Association has a right to attend Committee Meetings and vote on any matter providing that a quorum pre exists. They may also stand for election to any Association Committee position.
4. At the end of each year one half of the elected Committee of ‘’Officers and Members’’ shall resign but will be eligible for immediate re election at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). No Committee Member may stand for more than two years without offering themselves for re-election at the AGM.
5. The Committee shall have the power to co opt in the event of unfilled positions or resignations. Any person so co opted must offer himself or herself for election at the next AGM.
6. The Committee shall set the annual membership fees. The subscription year shall run from 1st. January to 31st. December. Any member having paid a subscription in the current subscription year and before the AGM has a right to vote at the AGM and to stand for election to any position on the Committee.
7. The AGM, of which not less than seven days notice shall be given, shall be held before the end of September each year.
8. Accounts will be made up to 31st. December for presentation at the next AGM. The Committee shall be responsible for appointing an independent auditor as necessary.
9. The Committee may arrange for a bank account to be opened and may place funds with any other financial institution. Two Officers one of who must be either the Chairman or Treasurer must sign cheques and other documents.
10. An extraordinary general meeting may be called by the Committee or by a written Resolution by not less than 25 members and stating an agenda. The Secretary shall call this meeting within 14 days of receipt of the Resolution.
11. No addition or alteration may be made to this Constitution except by a Resolution carried at an AGM by 70% of those voting and at least 21 days notice shall have been given in writing to the Secretary who shall embody the proposals in the notice of the meeting.
12. The Committee shall meet at least once a month. The Committee may at its discretion replace any Committee Member not attending meetings for three consecutive months. Any replacement person must offer themselves for election at the next AGM.
13. The Association shall not make any dividend, gift or bonus in money to or between any of its members excepting small tokens of appreciation upon illness or retirement etc.
14. Any person requesting to become a member of the Committee should not actively represent, support or work for any political organisation without Committee approval.
15. No Committee Member shall be permitted to stand for local election to represent the Association without the unanimous approval of the Committee and preferably with at least one years prior membership. Elected representatives are expected continue active membership of the Association including attending Association Committee Meetings.
Version 5 – 01/08/2019
The information on these pages is placed here in good faith. We cannot be held responsible for inaccuracies that we are not aware of. All articles and reports from other sources within this website will indicate their origin. These articles and reports or those contained in links to third party sites within this website are not necessarily the views of Hawkwell & Hockley Residents Association.