The aim of the weekend is give Scouts the experience of sleeping in a bivouac, cooking on open fires and complete the requirements of the Survival Skills Badge.
Date: 14-15 September 2019
Location: Pinsent Scout Campsite, near Winchester
Times: Arrive from 9am to 9.30am Saturday; Depart 3.30pm Sunday
Cost: £30 per Scout. Includes Food and campfees. Excludes transport
Payment: Please pay by BACs - Account 51260936 / Sort Code 40 46 39 / Ref "Survival Skills".
Bookings: Please reserve places by registering below.
1. Show that you know:
- basic knife or multi-tool skills, including safety and sharpening
- first aid treatment you may need to use while on a survival event, considering you have limited resources available
- how to construct different kinds of shelter
- how to build a fire and use basic lighting techniques
- the various burning qualities of different woods
- how to main hygiene in a survival situation
- the correct use of international distress signals, using a whistle, torch, mirror or markers
- some basic actions to take while waiting rescue that will both keep you (and your group) safe and will assist your rescuers in locating you
2. Put together a personal survival kit
3. With a group of at least three Scouts, take part in a survival exercise. It should last about 24 hours and the group should:
- construct a shelter of natural or salvaged materials and sleep in it
- prepare a meal using raw ingredients that could have been found or caught
- cook all meals over an open fire
- cook without utensils, although you may use a knife
Contact us: scout.section@email@example.com