Expression of Interest to Host 2021 HAA Conference
The HAA invites expressions of interest to host the next HAA conference in 2021. The Association strives to vary its conference locations in a fair manner and hopefully give all our members a chance to attend at least every few years. As such, it is highly recommended that expressions of interest propose a new location in Africa, within or outside South Africa. For details on past conferences, see below.
The expression of interest should be sent by email to the Chairperson at HAA.firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 April 2019. All expressions of interest will be evaluated by the HAA committee and short-listed entries will be asked to prepare a full plan, which will be due on 30 June 2019. Full proposals must be submitted in editable format and not exceed five pages plus any pictures of the venue. It should include summary descriptions of the topics below. Entries will be presented at the next HAA conference for consideration by the members attending. The final decision will be announced after the AGM.
HOST ORGANISATION DETAILS
- Names, affiliations, and email contact information for of the full organising committee and their roles.
- Description of the host organisation and its capacity for hosting and promoting a small international event of 100-120 participants.
- The level of sponsorship or other commitment, and roles of any other collaborating organisations.
VENUE & FACILITIES
- The venue proposed must have a capacity for up to 120 participants in plenary
- There should be two parallel meeting rooms for workshops or courses to take place in addition to the main schedule of talks
- Include information on travel options to the venue, particularly in the case of venues that are not close to major cities
A brief description of the venue(s) proposed outlining the facilities in terms of delegate capacity, meeting rooms available, plenary capacity, networking areas, wifi capacity, catering facilities, audio visual equipment, accessibility (local transport, international connections, on-site reduced mobility access), and accommodation for participants (hotels in various price ranges). Additional details of activities in and around the area (e.g., tourist attractions, hiking trails, herping spots).
- At least two proposed time-frames for the conference and a brief outline of the schedule of events.
- Ideally, the proposed dates should be in January or September to coincide with university holidays, and cover a four full-day conference with the possibility of hosting smaller workshops one day before or after.
- Proposed field trips or other events should be included
- A preliminary plan for plenary speakers and how their expense would be covered
- We strongly encourage the host to seek partial support for the conference fees through a mix of sponsorship and local and international funding. A plan for gaining this support should be included.
- A draft budget including eventual sponsorships, local, national, regional financial support and the proposed registration fee and eventual excess cost estimates to be covered.
- A brief outline of local, national, regional and international plans for publicising the conference.
Previous HAA conferences
2017 – Bonamanzi, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
2014 – Gobabeb, Namibia
2013 – Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
2011 – Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
2008 – Sterkfontein Dam, Free State, South Africa
2006 – Potchefstroom, North-West, South Africa
2004 – Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
2001 – Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
1998 - Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
1995 – St. Lucia, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
1993 – Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
1991 – Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
1987 – Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa