Shixiang (Shane) Gu, 顾世翔
I started PhD in Machine Learning under Cambridge-Tübingen PhD Fellowship in the fall 2014, where I am co-supervised by Richard E. Turner and Zoubin Ghahramani at University of Cambridge, and Bernhard Schölkopf at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen. I also collaborate closely with Sergey Levine at UC Berkeley/Google Brain and Timothy Lillicrap at DeepMind. I completed my B.ASc. in Engineering Science from the University of Toronto, where I did my thesis with Prof. Geoffrey Hinton in distributed training of neural networks using evolutionary algorithms. I also had a great fortune and fun time working with Prof. Steve Mann, developing real-time HDR capture for wearable cameras/displays. I previously interned at Google Brain hosted by Ilya Sutskever and Vincent Vanhoucke. My PhD is also funded by NSERC and Google Focused Research Award. I am a member of Jesus College, Cambridge.
I am a Lab Scientist at Creative Destruction Lab, one of the leading tech-startup incubators in Canada.
My expected graduation date is June-August, 2018.
Steve Mann, Raymond Chun Hing Lo, Kalin Ovtcharov, Shixiang Gu, David Dai, Calvin Ngan, Tao Ai. “Realtime HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video for EyeTap Wearable Computers, FPGA-Based Seeing Aids, and GlassEyes”, IEEE CCECE 2012, Montreal, 2012 April 29 to May 2. 6 pages, to be indexed in IEEE Xplore. ACM SIGGRAPH 2012, Emerging Technologies Exhibition. [Paper] [BibTex] [Video]
- Shixiang Gu. “Sample-Efficient Deep RL for Robotics”. Vector Institute, Canada, 2017.
- Shixiang Gu. “Sample-Efficient Deep RL for Robotics”. Hosted by Xiaoou Tang and Xiaogang Wang. CUHK, Hong Kong, China, 2017.
- Shixiang Gu. “Sample-Efficient Deep RL for Robotics”. Hosted by Masashi Sugiyama and Matsuo Yutaka. University of Tokyo, Japan, 2016.
- Timothy Lillicrap, Shixiang Gu. “Deep RL methods in Robotics”. Reinforcement Learning Forum. Google, USA, 2016.
- Shixiang Gu. “Generalized Backprop, Neural Particle Filter, and Guided Q-Learning”. Hosted by Pieter Abbeel. UC Berkeley, USA, 2015.
- Shixiang Gu. “Algorithms for Training Deep Stochastic Neural Networks”. Hosted by Noah Goodman. Stanford University, USA, 2015.
- Shixiang Gu, Andrey Malinin. “Long Short-Term Memory Networks”. Machine Learning RCC. Cambridge University, UK, 2015.
- Program Committee for NIPS Deep Reinforcement Learning Symposium, 2017.
- Reviewer for International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018.
- Reviewer for Neural Computation (NECO), 2018.
- Reviewer for Conference on Robot Learning (CoRL), 2017.
- Reviewer for AISTATS 2018.
- Reviewer for Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), 2017.
- Reviewer for International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), 2017.
- Reviewer for International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR), 2016, 2017.
- Reviewer for IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2017.
- Reviewer for IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 2017.
Email: <my-initials>717 at <first-three-char-of-cambridge> dot ac dot uk
Mail: Office BE4-40, Cambridge University Engineering Department, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1PZ, UK