We are a small family farm with two pastures (one 4.5 acre pasture with less grass for "easy keepers" and one 4.5 acre grass pasture with fairly rich grass), a basic outdoor riding arena, and a four-stall barn. Barn amenities include a finished tack/feed room with half bath, lockable closets, a large hayloft, and garage storage space. Several of our previous boarders have stayed with us for more than four years before buying their own farms or moving out of state.
The boarding cost is $175 per month per horse for pasture board. Geldings and mares only, please. Mares with foals count as one horse until weaning. We are typically at full capacity and advertise on craigslist when we have open spots.
Farm location is near Hamburg and Andover in the southeast of Lexington. We're easy to reach from Man o'War/Polo Club Boulevard or from Todds Road near Andover Country Club. We're a 6-minute drive to the I-75 ramp at exit 108, which is close to the I-75/I-64 southern split.
Here are a few of the farm's amenities:
- Wash stall with hot and cold water
- 12x12 stalls with two doors (to barn aisle on one side, and to the pastures on the other side)
- All stalls have anchored tie rings, water bucket hardware, hay rack, and feed bucket rings. Stalls have individual lights and power outlets for wall-mounted fans and/or heated water buckets
- Basic outdoor riding arena (it's fenced, flat, lighted, and has good footing--it's great for longeing and warming up, but it's not a dressage arena)
- Tack and feed room with plenty of storage space
- Bathroom in barn
- Geothermal waterers in both pastures
- Locking closets off main aisle
- Negotiable: trailer parking
- Proximity to a 40-acre city-owned property with tree-lined open fields... a wonderful riding area. This property also has access to a five-plus mile, multi-use riding/biking/walking path that is terrific for horseback riding and carriage driving
- Maximum of three horses in the larger pasture ensures that the field is never overgrazed
- Smaller field has much less grass and is great for easy-keepers
- Few boarders: We have set the maximum farm capacity at eight horses.
- Farm is located at the end of a private road and is surrounded on all sides by tree lines and other farms
- Barn is well lighted and designed for the safety of horse and handlers
- Two sets of cross ties (in aisle and in wash stall)
- 30' x 20' fenced warm-up/cool-down area adjacent to barn
- Owner lives on property
- Farm is one of only eight homes in a private development with closed dead-end roads--no worries about traffic or unwelcome visitors
- Four-board fencing--no wire on site. Back field has a single strand of low-voltage electric rope along top of the board fence
After a dozen-plus years of boarding horses, we have a good idea of the boarders who will be comfortable at our facility:
- Hacking or pleasure riding are good fits. Dressage and show horses are welcome but, frankly, you'll probably be happier at a facility with an indoor arena and more formality
- Equine retirees and "pasture ornaments" do great here
- Draft or carriage horses welcome. We've had a couple of drafts and we ride and drive them occasionally
- Laid-back, drama-free, happy people only, please!
- Horses without behavioral issues: no cribbers or biters or any other aggressive types
Pasture board and self-care board are offered. Full-care board and partial-care board are NOT available.