The board is committed to ensuring continuity of governance and a smooth transition when trustees join the board. New trustees will receive a welcome letter on their joining the board which includes:
· where and when they can pick up their governance folder
· the suggested date of the induction
· an outline of what will be covered in the induction meeting
· the date of the next board meeting
· chair and principal contact details.
New trustees will be issued with copies of the school’s:
· strategic and annual plans
· current budget
· last ERO report
· last annual report
· triennial board workplan
· minutes of the last three open board meetings
· any other relevant material.
New trustees will be invited to attend an induction, facilitated by the chair or delegate, which will include:
· explaining board policy and other material in the governance folder
· code of behaviour – trustees to sign and agree to work within the board’s code
· overview of the requirements of the board chair role with reference to policy
· introduction to the strategic plan and explanation of its importance
· summary of any opportunities or risks facing the board
· professional development from NZSTA
· overview of first board meeting – election of board chair, delegations.
The principal and chair or delegate will brief all new members on the organisational structure of the school.
The principal will conduct a site visit of the school.
Board members are to be advised of the professional development that is available from relevant providers.
Reviewed Term 2, 2017