GMMTA Local Auditions
GMMTA Local Auditions: April 6, 2019.**
Second Baptist Church, 4680 Walnut Grove Road, Memphis, TN
- January 13, 2019, Sunday NOON (12:00 pm): Teacher Work Form Application Deadline
- January 20, 2019, Sunday NOON (12:00 pm): Student Audition Application Deadline
- February 24, 2019: Musicianship Test Completion Deadline
What Teachers Need to Know about the Auditions
Teachers should consult the TMTA AUDITIONS SYLLABUS for ALL information regarding applications, repertoire requirements, and Musicianship tests.
Please make sure the student is not playing music from composers listed in the same musical period. A list of all composers according to musical period is included. Please note there are six musical periods. Be sure to check the Composer List in your Syllabus!
Photocopies: Any student using a photocopied score will be disqualified. Students may use legitimate copies of music provided by local music stores or downloaded from such websites as musicnotes.com or sheetmusicplus.com.
Performance Time Limits: Teachers should be aware of time limits listed in the syllabus. Students may be asked to stop if their program exceeds the allowed time.
Students will be entered in the following divisions.
- Elementary: grades K-5 ◦
- Middle School: grades 6-8 ◦
- High School: grades 9-12
Auditions - Memphis Music Teachers
- K - 2 Solo: $35.00
- Ensemble: $35.00/ensemble. (students do not pay individually)
- Overton HS: $35.00
- Grades 3 - 12: $50.00
All fees will be collected through PayPal on the application form. You may pay through your PayPal account or with a credit card.
* Non-member teachers should contact the email@example.com for non-member teacher and student fees before submitting application.
Student Musicianship Tests are administered online. The tests will consist of the following portions:
- Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory: One complete unit required
- Optional test: Students will choose between Technique, Sight Reading, and History.
- Technique: Students will use the Technique Exam from the current Musicianship Manual. The test will be administered during the "live" audition. Teachers who do not already have the Manual may download it here.
- Sight Reading: Students will use the iPad app Piano Maestro by Joy Tunes. This app may be used with Piano, Violin, and Flute. Other instruments should contact the Auditions Chair for other options.
- Music History: Study Guides may be downloaded here. The online version is available here, and on the Musicianship Test Information Page.
Judges Rating Sheet:
A Judges Rating sheet will be provided for each student the day of the auditions. Teachers no longer need to send a completed sheet with each student.
**Local Auditions have been scheduled for April 6, 2019. Students with conflicts wising to participate may apply to other local MTA's.
GMMTA cannot facilitate this process. Teachers and Students must make their own arrangements. Please contact the representative of the chosen affiliate listed on the TMTA website.
Students awarded a superior in local auditions are eligible to compete at state competitions held each year during the June Convention. Information about participants and requirements can be found at http://www.tnmta.org
MTNA National Competitions
Nationally affiliated competitions begin at the state level and are held each year in the fall. Students may then proceed to the divisional and national levels. Competitions for performance are for junior high, senior high and college levels. Competitions for composition are for elementary, junior high, senior high and college.
Please consult American Music Teacher or http://www.mtna.org for more information.