La Crescent, Minnesota
The home, dating to 1861, was owned by D. J. Cameron, who named it Glenevis after Glen Nevis, a scenic area in Scotland. The grounds include multiple gardens and a granary.
It is unusual to find a Civil War-era home in livable condition or still standing, let alone thriving, which is one reason Glenevis is significant. Most importantly, the property's legacy gives it historical significance. D. J. Cameron was an influential man, and his family retained the property for 125 years. The home, the granary, and the grounds are living artifacts of D. J. Cameron's life in La Crescent.
Three fireplaces are in the home, their brick chimneys reaching the basement floor.
The fireplace, left, has a tall mantle of the same dark wood. The inlaid squares, right, adorn both sides of the mantle.
The remnants of a granary, including this chute, are in the barn structure.
The table, left, is original to the granary.
Two of D. J. Cameron's children died as infants. The stone obelisk, at left, is a grave marker; the actual grave is also on the grounds. Many horseshoes dating to the 19th century are found on the grounds; Cameron bred and raised horses for harness racing.
The foundations of the house and the granary (below) are stone.
Walking Tour Sept. 23
The La Crescent Area Historical Society begins an annual event, Walk with History, at Glenevis, the 1861 homestead of D. J. Cameron. The walking tour will be from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, September 23, at 1430 County Road 6, La Crescent, MN. Guests will receive a map of Glenevis and Regina Chihak will describe the inside of the home, while volunteers guide guests through the gardens and granary. Refreshments and live music by Chuck Chihak complete the afternoon. A $5 donation is suggested. Visitors to La Crescent should travel west on South 7th Street and watch for cars along the roadway.
September is the height of area apple harvests, so visitors to La Crescent--Apple Capital of Minnesota--can also enjoy several popular varieties.
Information gleaned from the History of Houston County, 1919, edited by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, the property abstract, and a July 26, 1978 article published in the La Crosse Tribune