My research focuses on organizational economics, institutional design and business strategy, with an emphasis on the interaction between formal and relational governance mechanisms, and between governance and institutions. I believe in an interdisciplinary approach to the study of organization, which combines the analytical tools of economics (formal modeling and econometric analysis) with thick knowledge of the institutional, legal and social environment of business, in the spirit of Coase and Williamson.
Papers published in peer-reviewed journals
- “The Role of Relationship Scope in Sustaining Relational Contracts,” with Nicholas Argyres and Janet Bercovitz, 2019, forthcoming in Strategic Management Journal.
- "Relational Contracting in Developed Economies: Lessons From Slot Exchanges in the US Airline Industry," with Ricard Gil and Myongjin Kim, 2019, forthcoming in the Japanese Economic Review.
- “Property Rights in Sequential Exchange,” with Benito Arruñada and Nuno Garoupa, 2019, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization 35: 127-153.
- “On the Determinants and Consequences of Informal Contracting,” with Ricard Gil, 2018, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 27: 726-741.
- “Formal and Informal Contracting: Theory and Evidence,” with Ricard Gil, 2017, Annual Review of Law and Social Science 13: 141-159.
- “Endogenous Enforcement Institutions,” with Gani Aldashev, 2017, Journal of Development Economics 128: 49-64.
- “The Double-Edged Effect of Knowledge Acquisition: How Contracts Safeguard Pre-Existing Resources,” with Desmond Lo and Tammy Madsen, 2016, Strategic Management Journal 37: 2014-20.
- “New Frontiers in the Empirical Research on Informal Contracting,” with Ricard Gil, 2016, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 172: 390-407.
- “Contract Adaptation under Legal Constraints,” 2013, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization 29: 799-834.
- “Coase (1937) revisited: Endogenous Fiat in Firms and Markets,” 2012, International Review of Economics 59: 201-221, special issue in honor of Ronald Coase edited by Henry Smith.
- “Vertical Restraints and the Law: Evidence from Automobile Franchising,” 2009, Journal of Law and Economics 52: 691-700.
- “Institutional Constraints on Organizations: The Case of Spanish Car Dealerships,” with Benito Arruñada and Luis Vázquez, 2009, Managerial and Decision Economics 30: 15-26
Papers under review and working papers
- “The Role of Relational Contracts in Outsourcing: Evidence from the 2008 Shock to the US Airline Industry,” with Ricard Gil and Kim Myongjin, December 2018, Revise & Resubmit at Management Science.
- “Governance in the Wild,” with Gani Aldashev, April 2019.
- “Managing Social Comparisons in Organizations,” with Oscar Contreras and Matthias Fahn, March 2019.
- “Contracting to Dis-Incentivize,” with Desmond Lo and Mrinal Ghosh, January 2019.
- “Contracting in Innovative Industries,” with Ricard Gil, 2018, in Ménard, Claude, and Mary Shirley (editors), A Research Agenda for New Institutional Economics, Edward Elgar Publishers, 2018.
- “Restricting Franchising: An Empirical Analysis of the Allocation of Control Rights in Car Dealership Contracts,” in CAFAGGI, F., Corporate Governance, Networks and Innovation, CEDAM, Padova, 2005.
- “Informal Contracting within and between Firms,” 2017, with Ricard Gil, RAUSP Management Journal 5: 492-496.
- “Contratos Alrededor de la Ley: El Caso de la Distribución de Automóviles,” 2010, Economía Industrial 376: 111-118.