Xianjun Geng is a Full Professor of Management Science and Norman Mayer Professor of Business in A. B. Freeman School of Business, Tulane University. He also serves as the Area Coordinator for Management Science, and as the Executive Director of the Master of Business Analytics program. He received his Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Economics, and Master of Engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, and Ph.D. in Information Systems from the University of Texas at Austin. His research interests include pricing, information security, business analytics, supply chain management, and behavioral economics. His work has appeared in Management Science (in IS, Marketing and OM departments), Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Journal of Management Information Systems, Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing, Production and Operations Management and other academic journals. He served as Associate Editor for Information Systems Research, special issue Senior Editor for Production and Operations Management, and currently serves as Associate Editor for MIS Quarterly and for Information and Management. He consistently receives superior ratings for his teaching, and has won multiple student-voted awards. Prior to joining Tulane, he served on the faculty at the University of Texas at Dallas and at University of Washington.
At Tulane University:
- Business Analytics Practicum (graduate, evaluations out of 7: Summer'18 6.8)
At U. of Texas at Dallas:
- Advanced Business Analytics (graduate, evaluations out of 5: Spring'12 4.7, 4.8; Spring'13 4.7, 4.4, 4.7; Fall'15 4.8, 4.7, 4.9; Fall'16 4.8, 4.8; Spring'17 4.9)
- Business Analytics (graduate, evaluations: Spring'12 4.8; Fall'13 4.7, 4.7, 4.9)
- Introduction to MIS (undergraduate, evaluations: Fall'09 4.4, 4.6; Fall'10 4.7, 4.9)
- Systems Analysis and Design (undergraduate, evaluations: Fall'10 5.0)
At U. of Washington:
(I received multiple student-voted teaching awards at UW.)
- Systems Analysis and Design (undergraduate)
- Business Data Communications (undergraduate)
- Foundations of E-Business (MBA)
- Introduction to Economics-IS Interface (doctoral)
- Advanced Topics in Economics-IS Interface (doctoral)
- Information security
- Business analytics
- Supply chain management
- Behavioral economics
Refereed Journal Articles (newest on top)
- “Operational Role of Retail Bundling and Its Implications in a Supply Chain,” with Qingning Cao, Kathryn Stecke and Jun Zhang, Production and Operations Management, forthcoming.
- “Bloatware and Jailbreaking: Strategic Impact of Consumer-Initiated Modification of Technology Products,” with Hasan Cavusoglu and Huseyin Cavusoglu, Information Systems Research, forthcoming.
- “Does It Pay to Shroud In-App Purchase Prices?” with Jeffery D. Shulman, Information Systems Research, forthcoming.
- “How Add-on Pricing Interacts with Distribution Contracts,” with Yinliang (Ricky) Tan and Lai Wei, Production and Operations Management, 27(4), 605-623, April 2018.
- Winner, Best Problem-Driven Analytical Research Paper, Decision Sciences Institute, 2017
- “Milking the Quality Test: Improving the Milk Supply Chain under Competing Collection Intermediaries,” with Liying Mu, Milind Dawande and Vijay Mookerjee, Management Science, 62(5), 1259-1277, May 2016.
- Winner, Best Publication Award in Natural Resources, INFORMS ENRE Section, 2017
- “Mandatory Standards and Organizational Information Security,” with Chul Ho Lee and Srinivasan Raghunathan, Information Systems Research, 27(1), 70-86, March 2016.
- “How Costs and Heterogeneous Consumer Price Sensitivity Interact with Add-On Pricing,” with Jeffrey D. Shulman, Production and Operations Management, 24(12), 1870-1882, December 2015.
- Media coverage at MarketPlace by American Public Media, MSN, MyInforms.com, Maclean's
- “Strategic Role of Retailer Bundling in a Distribution Channel,” with Qingning Cao and Jun Zhang, Journal of Retailing, 91(1), 50-67, March 2015.
- “Competing with Piracy: A Multi-Channel Sequential Search Approach,” with Young-Jin Lee, Journal of Management Information Systems, 30(2), 159-184, 2013.
- "Contracting Information Security in the Presence of Double Moral Hazard," with Chul Ho Lee and Srinivasan Raghunathan, Information Systems Research, 24(2), 295-311, June 2013.
- "Add-On Pricing by Asymmetric Firms," with Jeffrey D. Shulman, Management Science, 59(4), 899-917, April 2013.
- "A Generalized Model of Partial Resale," with Ruhai Wu and Andrew B. Whinston, Decision Support Systems, 53(1), 108-117, April 2012.
- “Impacts of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Transfer on Investment Decisions under Uncertainty,” with Lihui Lin and Andrew B. Whinston, Journal of Management Information Systems, 26(2), 123-145, Fall 2009.
- “Topographically Discounted Internet Infrastructure Resources: A Panel Study and Econometric Analysis,” with Anna Ye Du, Ram Gopal, R. Ramesh, and Andrew B. Whinston, Information Technology and Management, 9(2), 135-146, June 2008.
- “Capacity Provision Networks: Foundations of Markets for Sharable Resources in Distributed Computational Economies,” with Anna Ye Du, Ram Gopal, R. Ramesh, and Andrew B. Whinston, Information Systems Research, 19(2), 144-160, June 2008.
- “Optimal Design of Consumer Contests,” with De Liu, and Andrew B. Whinston, Journal of Marketing, 71(4), 140-155, October 2007.
- “Profiting from Partial Allowance of Ticket Resale,” with Ruhai Wu, and Andrew B. Whinston, Journal of Marketing, 71, 184-195, April 2007.
- “Defeating DDoS Attacks By Fixing The Incentive Chain,” with Yun Huang, and Andrew B. Whinston, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, 7(1), February 2007.
- “A Sender-Receiver Framework for Knowledge Transfer,” with Lihui Lin, and Andrew B. Whinston, MIS Quarterly, 29(2), 197-219, June 2005.
- “Network Mapping Services for Dynamic Selection of Web Services: Promises and Challenges,” with Yun Huang, and Andrew B. Whinston, Information Systems and E-Business Management, 3(3), 281-297, October 2005.
- “Bundling Information Goods of Decreasing Value,” with Maxwell B. Stinchcombe, and Andrew B. Whinston, Management Science, 51(4), 662-667, April 2005.
- “Health of Electronic Communities: An Evolutionary Game Approach,” with Andrew B. Whinston, and Han Zhang, Journal of Management Information Systems, 21(3), 83-111, Winter 2004-5.
- “Operationalizing the Essential Role of the IT Artifact in IS Research: Gray Area, Pitfalls, and the Importance of Strategic Ambiguity,” with Andrew B. Whinston, MIS Quarterly, 28(2), 149-159, June 2004.
- “Implications of Reduced Search Cost and Free Riding in E-Commerce,” with Dazhong Wu, Gautam Ray, and Andrew B. Whinston, Marketing Science, 23(2), 255-262, Spring 2004.
- “Scaling Web Services with Capacity Provision Networks,” with Ram Gopal, R. Ramesh, and Andrew B. Whinston, IEEE Computer, November 2003.
- “Trading Caches: Capacity Provision Networks,” with Ram Gopal, R. Ramesh, and Andrew B. Whinston, in IEEE IT Professional, July|August 2003.
- “Smart Marketplaces: A Step Beyond Web Services,” with Yun Huang and Andrew B. Whinston, in Information Systems and e-Business Management, 1(1), 15-34, February 2003.
- “Defending Wireless Infrastructure Against the Challenge of DDoS Attacks,” with Yun Huang and Andrew B. Whinston, in ACM Journal on Mobile Networking and Applications, 7(3), 213-223, June 2002.
- “Profiting from Value-Added Wireless Services,” with Andrew B. Whinston, in IEEE Computer, 34(8), 87-89, August 2001.
- “Radically New Product Introduction Using On-line Auctions,” with Maxwell Stinchcombe, and Andrew B. Whinston, in International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 5(3), 169-189, Spring 2001.
- “Defeating Distributed Denial of Service Attacks,” with Andrew B. Whinston, in IEEE IT Professional, 2(4), 36-41, July|August 2000.