Nirmal Kumar GALI
Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Environment & Sustainability
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong SAR
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred); Work E-mail (On Request)
WORK EXPERIENCE (Summary)
2018/07 – Present, Postdoctoral Fellow, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
- Biological experiments using RAW264.7 and A549 cell lines.
- Cellular metabolic and toxicity implications of air pollutants.
- Toxicity mechanism of water-soluble and -insoluble particles identified.
- Drafting research proposals and Co-supervision of Ph.D. students for PI.
2013/08 – 2018/06, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, City University of Hong Kong
- Biological experiments using RAW264.7 macrophage cell line.
- A novel cellular toxicity mechanism for TiO2nanoparticles is proposed.
- Health implications of particulate matter from atmosphere, and fuel types.
- Handling of instruments such as TEM, FTIR, Confocal Microscope, etc.
- Preparation of grant proposals for PI for government funding.
- Teaching assistant for Water Quality Engineering & Environmental Data analysis Courses.
- 2013/07 - Ph.D. in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Pondicherry University, Puducherry, India.
- 2007/05 - M.Phil. in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Pondicherry University, Puducherry, India.
- 2004/05 - M.Sc. in Biochemistry, St. Joseph's PG College (affl. to Sri Krishnadevaraya University), Kurnool, India.
- 2002/04 - B.Sc. in Biochemistry-Microbiology-Chemistry, Dr. AER Degree College (affl. to Sri Venkateswara University), Tirupathi, India.
- 1998/04 - Intermediate in Botany-Zoology-Physics-Chemistry, Rayalaseema Junior College, Tirupathi, India.
- 1996/04 - SSC, Rayalaseema Non-residential High School (Gz to Prashanth English Medium High School), Tirupathi, India.
- Role of atmospheric pollutants in cellular oxidative stress.
- Cellular toxicity mechanisms and carcinogenesis.
- Particle and gas phase pollutant separation.
- Characterization of protein thermostability.
- Molecular aspects of Gene expression.
- Enzymes in animal and plants.
- Plant-microbe interactions.
- Air Pollution: Separation of particle and gas phase of particulate matter, quantitation of BC and OC, Functional group analysis of PM using FTIR, PM exposure to cell lines, pathway for cellular toxicity mechanism with soluble PM and insoluble nanoparticles, Maintenance and functioning of Aethalometer (AE33, AE42 & AE51), Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer (SPMS), T700U Dilution Calibrator, T100 SO2 analyzer, Vaisala GMP-343 Flow through CO2 analyzer.
- Biochemistry: Clinical Enzymology, Chromatographic separation of proteins (Ion exchange, Gel Permeation and Affinity), Laccase enzyme kinetics and use in Dye decolorization, Electrophoretic separation of proteins and characterization using zymogram and western blotting methods.
- Biophysical Techniques: UV-Visible Absorption Spectroscopy, Circular Dichroism Spectroscopy, Differential Thermal Analysis, Thermogravimetric Analysis, Electron Paramagnetic Resonance, Fluorescence Spectroscopy, FACS and TEM operation and analysis, Dynamic light scattering analysis of PM, Chromatographic systems (HPLC, LCMS) and Fluorescence microscopy.
- Bioinformatics: Swiss-prot, Database search, Primer design, Gene sequence submission using Bankit and Sequin, Protein structure Modelling-verify 3d, procheck.
- Molecular Biology: SDS-PAGE & Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, Isolation of Plasmid DNA, Chromosomal DNA and Total RNA, mRNA purification, cDNA preparation, Quantification of DNA & RNA from microbial and animal systems, Western Blotting technique, ELISA methods, Cloning and Gene expression, PCR.
- Microbiological Techniques: General microbiology, Pouring, streaking, Microbial staining techniques, Maintenance of Bacteria and Bacterial Cultures, Isolation and characterization of Bacteria, bacterial growth curve, Motility test, Antibiotic sensitivity test.
- Immunology: Basic immunological techniques that includes Ouchterlony immunodiffusion and rocket immunoelectrophoresis, Production of polyclonal antibodies in rabbit, Immunological detection like HA, etc.
- Cell & Plant tissue culture: Maintenance of RAW264.7 and A549 cell lines and exposure studies, Plant embryo culture, ovary culture, triparental mating, leaflet sub-culturing and infection with Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
- Farid, M.U., Jeong, S., Seo, D.H., Lau, C., Ahmed, R., Gali, N.K., Ning, Z. and An, A.K. (2018) Mechanistic insight on the in vitro toxicity of graphene oxide against biofilm forming bacteria using laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy. Nanoscale, 10: 4475-4487. (IF = 7.37)
- Zhang, Q., Ning, Z., Shen, Z., Li, G., Zhang, J., Lei, Y., Xu, H., Sun, J., Zhang., L., Westerdahl, D., Gali, N.K. and Gong, X. (2017) Variations of aerosol size distribution, chemical composition and optical properties from roadside to ambient environment: a case study in Hong Kong, China. Atmospheric Environment,166: 234-243. (IF = 3.62)
- Jiang, S.Y., Gali, N.K., Yang, F., Zhang, J. and Ning, Z. (2017) Chemical characterization of size-segregated PM from different public transport modes and implications of source specific contribution to public exposure. Environ Sci Pollu Res, 24(24): 20029-20040. (IF = 2.74)
- Gali, N.K., Yang, F., Cheung, C.S. and Ning, Z. (2017) A comparative analysis of chemical components and cell toxicity properties of solid and semi-volatile PM from diesel and biodiesel blend.J Aerosol Sci, 111: 51-64. (IF = 2.62)
- Gali, N.K., Jiang, S.Y., Yang, F., Sun, L. and Ning, Z. (2017) Redox characteristics of size segregated PM from different public transport microenvironments in Hong Kong. Air Qual Atmos Health, 10(7): 833-844. (IF = 3.18)
- Gali, N.K., Ning, Z., Daoud, W. and Brimblecombe, P. (2016) Investigation on the mechanism of non-photocatalytically TiO2-induced reactive oxygen species and its significance on cell cycle and morphology. J Appl Toxicol, 36(10): 1355-1363. (IF = 3.16)
- Gali, N.K., Yang, F., Jiang, S.Y., Chan, K.L., Sun, L., Ho, K.F. and Ning, Z. (2015) Spatial and seasonal heterogeneity of atmospheric particles induced reactive oxygen species in urban areas and the role of water-soluble metals. Environ Pollu, 198: 86-96. (IF = 5.09)
- Premalatha, R., Srikumar, K., Vijayalaksmi, D., Kumar, G.N. and Mathur, P.P. (2014) 28-Homobrassinolide: a novel oxysterol transactivating LXR gene expression. Mol Biol Rep, 41 (11):7447-7461. (IF = 2.51)
- Kumar, G.N. and Srikumar, K. (2013) Molecular and Computational Approaches to Characterize Thermostable Laccase Gene from Two Xerophytic Plant Species. Appl Biochem Biotechnol, 172 (3): 1445-1459. (IF = 1.893)
- Kumar, G.N. and Srikumar, K. (2013) Biophysical characterization of thermophilic laccase from xerophytes – Cereus pterogonus and Opuntia vulgaris. Cellulose, 20 (1): 115-125. (IF = 3.6)
- Gali, N.K. and Kotteazeth, S. (2012) Isolation, Purification and Characterization of Thermophilic Laccase from the xerophyte Cereus pterogonus. Chem Nat Comp, 48 (3): 451=456. (IF = 1.029)
- Kumar, G.N. and Srikumar, K. (2012) Characterization of Xerophytic Thermophilic Laccase Exhibiting Metal Ion-Dependent Dye Decolorization Potential. Appl Biochem Biotechnol, 167: 662-676. (IF = 1.943)
- Vikramathithan, J., Ravikumar, S., Muthuraman, P., Nirmalkumar, G., Shyamala, S. and Srikumar, K. (2012) Purification and biochemical characterization of two major thermophilic xylanase isoforms (T70and T90) from xerophytic Opuntia vulgarisplant spp. Cellulose, 19: 1373-1383. (IF = 3.6)
- Vikramathithan, J., Muthuraman, P., Ravikumar, S., Shyamala, S., Kumar, G.N. and Srikumar, K. (2012) Biochemical and Biophysical Characterization of purified thermophilic xylanase isoforms in Cereus pterogonusplant spp. Protein J, 31: 141-149. (IF = 1.038)
- Kumar, G.N. and Srikumar, K. (2011) Thermophilic Laccase from xerophyte species Opuntia vulgaris. Biomed Chromatogr, 25: 707-711. (IF = 1.966)
- Vikramathithan, J., Kumar, G.N., Muthuraman, P. and Srikumar, K. (2010) Purification and Characterization of Thermophilic Xylanase isolated from the xerophytic-Cereus pterogonussp. Protein J, 29: 481-486. (IF = 1.038)
- Vikramathithan, J., Kumar, G.N., Muthuraman, P. and Srikumar, K. (2010) Thermophilic xylanase isolated from the xerophytic-Cereus pterogonusand Opuntia vulgarisplant sp. International Journal of Phytomedicine, 2: 304-311. (IF = 0.89)
- Kumar, G.N., Lakshmy, S. and Srikumar, K. (2010) Negative modulation of alkaline phosphatase and creatine kinase by homobrassinolide. International Journal of Drug Delivery, 2: 258-264. (IF = 1.02)
- Muthuraman, P., Ravikumar, S., Vikramathithan, J., Kumar, G.N. and Srikumar, K. (2010) Effect of phytohormones on tissue hexokinase and on some blood components in wistar rats. International Journal of Drug Delivery, 2: 168-172. (IF = 1.02)
- 2015/09-12 : Observer & Teaching Assistant for the course "Data Analysis in Environmental Applications" (SEE5211), City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR.
- 2015/01-05 : Teaching Assistant for the course "Water Quality Engineering" (SEE4218), City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR.
- 2014/09-12 : Teaching Assistant for the course "Data Analysis in Environmental Applications" (SEE5211), City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR.
- 2013/09 - 2014/04 : Graduate Teaching Assistant in English Writing Studio, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR.
- 2018, October 30, Chemical Safety I and Chemical Safety II (Waste Management), by Health, Safety and Environment Office, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong SAR.
- 2018, October 15, Introduction to Indoor Air Quality, by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology on Coursera. Hong Kong SAR.
- 2018, July 27, Biological Safety, by Health, Safety and Environment Office, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong SAR.
- 2017, August, Outstanding contribution in Reviewing, by Journal of Waste Management, Elsevier, The Netherlands.
- 2008, February 27-29, Workshop on UV-VIS-NIR, FTIR and Emission Spectroscopy, by Pondicherry University, India. Gained hands-on expertise in their operation & data analysis.
- 2006, November 9-11, Workshop on Scientific Research Instrumentation, by Pondicherry University, India. Hands-on experience of SDS-PAGE, HPLC, Blotting Techniques, SEM, TEM and Spectroscopy techniques.
- 2004, January 5 – April 20, Training for “Genetic manipulation of tobacco plant through Annexin gene”, by Shreedhar Bhat’s Laboratory, Bangalore, India. Attained expertise in plasmid DNA isolation, preparation of recombinant DNA, Triparental mating, plant-microbe interaction using Agrobacterium tumefaciens, PCR and plant tissue culture.
- Atmospheric Environment
- Environmental Science & Pollution Research
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
- Preparative Biochemistry & Biotechnology
- Waste Management
Delivered a talk on
- “Investigation on the role of soluble PM and insoluble nanoparticles in cellular oxidative stress” at School of Public Health, Chinese University of Hong Kong, on 25thApril 2017.
- “Diurnal trends of particulate matter induced oxidative potential in different urban environments” at School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong, on 16thMarch 2017.
- “Laboratory Safety procedures” at School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong, on 15thJuly 2016.
- “Maintenance of a Lab Record” at School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong, on 7thJune 2016.
- “Comparison on the role of semi-volatile PM, soluble PM and insoluble TiO2 in cellular oxidative stress” at School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong, on 14thApril 2016.
- “Comparison of the toxicity from diesel and biodiesel blend exhaust in macrophage cells in vitro” at School of Energy and Environment, City University of Hong Kong, on 19thNov 2015.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS/ PARTICIPATIONS (from 2011)
- Oral presentation entitled “Diurnal trends of particulate matter induced oxidative potential in different urban environments.” In The 10thAsian Aerosol Conference at Jeju, South Korea, during 2-6 July 2017.
- Poster presentation entitled “Physicochemical and toxicological assessment of passenger daily exposure to air pollutants in various public transport systems in Hong Kong.” In Health Research Symposium 2017, Hong Kong, on 16 June 2017.
- Oral presentation entitled “A comparison on PM-induced toxicity from emissions of public transport and ambient atmospheric conditions in Hong Kong” in “2ndInternational conference on advances in applied science and environmental engineering,” ASEE’14, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, during 20-21 December 2014. Awarded Best Oral Presentation
- Selective Participation in “Second International conference on Frontiers of MS Technology and Emerging Applications”, at Indian Institute of Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry, Chennai, India, on 19th November 2012.
- Poster on “Purification and Biophysical characterization of thermostable laccase from the xerophyte – Cereus pterogonus” In “International conference on Advances in Biological Sciences” at Dept. of Biotechnology and Microbiology, Kannur, India, during 15-17th March 2012.
- Selective Participation in “International conference on Frontiers of MS Technology and Emerging Applications”, at Indian Institute of Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry, Chennai, India, on 28th November 2011.
- Poster presentation entitled “Characterization of Xerophytic thermophilic laccase exhibiting metal ion dependent Dye decolorization potential” in “International Conference on New Horizons in Biotechnology” organized by Biotech Research Society and NIIST, CSIR, at Trivandrum, Kerala, India, during 21-24th Nov 2011.
- Selective Participation in “Biotechnology: UK and Indian Perspectives, Seminar on Biotechnology”, organized by British Council and Anna University – Chennai, at Anna University, Chennai, India, on 13 and 14th October 2011.
- Best oral presentation award at 2nd International conference on advances in applied science and environmental engineering, ASEE’14, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on 20-21 December 2014
- UGC-Research Fellowship for Meritorious students in Science - JRF and SRF (2008-12).
- Gold medal awardee for being first in University for M.Phil in Biochemistry, April 2007.
- Overall 5th rank in University exams during M.Sc. from Sri Krishnadevaraya University. 2004.
- Recipient of First prize (from Sri Venkateswara University) for being first in the class during the academic years 2001 and 2002.
- Recipient of Best student award in 8thclass (April 1994) and in B.Sc Final year, 2002.
- Received 2nd and 3rd prize in Inter-college quiz and painting competition respectively, April 2002.
- Holds the highest mark scorer in Chemistry with 90%, achieved during Undergraduate University Exams, April 2001.