About Wellington Park
Origins of the park (from the Wellington Park Improvement Project CPA Proposal (2004)):
History of Wellington Park From the report of the Newton Playground Commission (1930):
"The past year has been a very busy one for the Playground Department since it was called upon by the City Government to function in a number of affairs incidental to the celebration of the 300th anniversary of the City of Newton.
Most gratifying progress was made by the addition of approximately forty-two acres of playground areas. Inasmuch as this is one of the important phases of wise city planning, the year 1930 was a banner year in this respect.
Although most of this land was bought from the tax levy, we must gratefully acknowledge a gift of a one and .0ne-I18lf acre playground made by J. Frank Wellington of Somerville, the deed of which was recorded May 7, 1930. This property is located in West Newton off Henshaw Place. These premises were conveyed upon the express condition that the same shall be improved, dedicated, and forever used by the City as and for a public park and playground, and for no other purpose. This splendid gift will prove a great relief in the near future for this section which is rapidly being developed, and will give the little children a playground which they can reach without crossing main streets. "