The following is the most important information to make sure you have completed before December 1st:
- Pay your dues online
- Complete the FIRST Dashboard Registration
- Order additional apparel to support the team (t-shirts, hoodies, and jackets)
november parent letter
The following is information from the November Newsletter.
Monthly Meeting Dates
- Nov. 6th: Leaders Only Meeting
- Nov. 13th: CAD Workshop
- Nov. 14th: California Pizza Kitchen Fundraiser Night
- Nov. 20th: Outreach at Panthers STEM Day
- Nov. 21st: Outreach at Silver Lakes Elementary
- Nov. 14th: California Pizza Kitchen Night Fundraiser (join us!)
- Nov. 20th: Robot Demo at Panthers STEM Day
- Nov. 21st: STEM Hands-On Activities at Silver Lakes Elementary
- Our regional dates have been set: Feb 26-29 South Carolina & April 2-5 West Palm Beach
- As the travel season approaches, we need to know which students have a strong interest and ability in attending. I need all individuals to fill this form out: https://forms.gle/pCuE4hj9wNXXprUW6
- If you are interested in coming up to South Carolina to watch us compete, please let me know via email if you'd like a hotel in our block.
Still in Need of Sponsorship
- While we have been working hard to fundraise, we are still in search of sponsors for our season! Please do not forget to share our sponsorship letter with your friends, family, and companies/businesses so we can have the funding we need to be successful!
- Attached is the sponsorship letter for distribution.
- Please inform me via email when you have a check or a point of contact so that we can make a plan to secure the funding gets to the correct place.
Looking for Volunteers for an Event were Hosting in January
- On January 25th, our team is hosting a FIRST LEGO League competition for 24 local elementary teams. We need at least 75 volunteers to pull it off! While I have some amazing high school students, I still need adults.
- If you are interested in volunteering that day to make it successful, please let me know via email. There are a ton of roles to fill regardless of your background; judges, concessions, referees, scorers, LEGO field reset, taking students to judging rooms, team check-in, hospitality room, etc.
October parent letter
The following is information from the October Newsletter.
- Complete the FIRST Dashboard Registration **This MUST be done before Mission Mayhem Oct 19th** (https://www.firstinspires.org/resource-library/youth-team-member-consent-and-release-form)
Monthly Meeting Dates
- Oct. 2nd: Tools Training
- Oct. 9th: No School, No Meeting
- Oct. 16th: Scouting Training/Mission Mayhem Competition Prep
- Oct 23rd: Girls ONLY Meeting
- Oct. 30th: Electronics/Pneumatics Training
- Oct. 17th (at the build space): painting FIRST LEGO League Tables for the community - please wear clothing/shoes that can be painted - register here (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0B4BAAAE2CA5F58-flltable)
- Oct 25th (at the build space/Panther Run Elementary): demonstrating robot at Panther Run Trunk or Treat - eat/prep after school then head to the school at 5:30 (in team shirt) to show off!
- Multiple Dates: Volunteering with FIRST LEGO League Team at Glades Middle School - register here (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0b4baaae2ca5f58-glades)
- Oct. 19th: Mission Mayhem at Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale - if you are attending please fill this out and get and return your field trip form from Ms. Wilson before Oct.16th
- As you might already know, if your student pays dues, they will receive their generic team T-shirt (to be given out before October ends)
- We are selling additional T-shirts to students and parents/family/community to support us!
- We are also selling hoodies & zip-up jackets to students, parents, and community supporters.
Please fill out the following form so I can get a number count. We are not sure yet how we will be collecting payments (online or cash) but we will let you know soon.
- This is the order form for all apparel: https://forms.gle/LcFCmgqYf58P3HEz8
September parent letter
The following is information from the September Newsletter.
Thank You -
First off, thank you so much for taking the time to attend our informational meeting. If you missed it, no worries all the information can be found below.
Please know how much you are appreciated as parents/guardians. Without your support, none of this is possible.
Important To-Dos -
- FIRST Dashboard:
- As a parent, you need to make and/or log into your FIRST account (called the Dashboard) and complete your student’s Consent and Release Form. Without this, your student is not able to attend events.
- If you are not sure if this has been completed, please reach out and we can let you know.
- Team Dues
- Log into your account with the school district and pay the team dues. If you have any questions regarding dues please call the school as we have no control over this.
- *Note that there are discounts for students who are also in the engineering club and for having multiple students on the team.
Parent Communication -
- Parent Only Remind
- Text @parent3653 to 81010
- We want to make sure all parents have access to information throughout the year. In order to accomplish this, we will be starting a Parent Remind. This can be accessed with or without the Remind app.
- Remind is set up so that when Stephan and I send out a message everyone can see it, but replies come only to us, not the entire group.
Mentor vs Parent -
There is an important distinction to be made between a mentor and a parent of a student. Please read the descriptions below, these are the highlights. If you have any questions, please reach out to me. If you would like to begin the process of becoming a registered mentor, please let me know.
A mentor will do the following:
- Complete the volunteer registration to gain clearance (via the school district policy)
- Complete Youth Protection Policy screening (via the FIRST program policy)
- Be willing to donate some of their time and expertise (much more than just engineering) to the team
- Be included in a group chat (if they choose) to share important information regarding the team
A parent will do the following:
- If you chose to serve as a chaperone for our overnight events, you must complete the volunteer registration to gain clearance (via the school district policy)
- If you chose, provide other means of support such as:
- Transportation to community outreach and other events
- Attend events when you are able
- Support your child’s interest and involvement in the team activities
In order to have a successful season and to ensure the continuity of a team in general, we have to have available funds, much like that of a small business. The students will pay dues but this does not nearly cover the entirety of our expenses. In order to make up the difference, we have to fundraise. A majority of the money comes in through sponsorships, whether this is an individual, a large or small business monetary donation, or an in-kind donation, every little bit helps. Attached is our sponsorship letter describing the team, our needs, and the benefits of sponsoring our program. Please feel encouraged to distribute this to anyone you believe would be interested. We just ask that you inform us of the contact and its result so we may keep track and avoid a repeat ask.
Social Media -
Please note that we have social media pages. The more widespread they can become the better. Please like, follow, and share them!
- Facebook Page (not person) - @3653botcats or Broward Botcats
- Twitter - @Botcats
- Instagram - @wb_botcats_3653
- Website - www.tinyurl.com/botcats3653.com
- Here is where you will find a calendar of events for the year as they are populated and our handbooks
We mentioned that students are eligible for up to $80 million in scholarships and internships. All information about this can be found here - https://www.firstinspires.org/scholarships