Write a Song
The Judith Crossley Memorial - Singer/Songwriter Award
One event that is proving to be a huge inspiration to South Australia singer-songwriters is the Festival’s annual Judith Crossley Memorial Singer/Songwriter Award.
The Judith Crossley Memorial Singer/Songwriter Award is a tribute to an amazing lady - Judith Crossley (1934-2014). This has been made possible through a kind donation from Judith Crossley’s estate to remember Judith and her commitment to the South Australian Folk community by celebrating her life.
Contestants must write a song about Adelaide or South Australia in the folk or blues traditional mode. Ten finalists are chosen to perform at a special Judith Crossley Award Concert where the winner is chosen. The winner receives a $1000 prize and a certificate that can be added to their CV.
The Award is open to South Australian residents from all age groups. Please read the conditions of entry and click the link(s) below to download an application.
Conditions of Entry
- Genre: Singer Songwriter in the Folk or Blues Traditional mode
- Content: the song must be written about Adelaide or South Australia
- Age group: The Award is open to all age groups
- Who can enter the Award: Singer Songwriters who are South Australian residents
- Closing Date is 30th September 2018
- First prize: The Judith Crossley Memorial Singer/Songwriter Award - $1,000; plus a certificate to add to your resume
- Accompaniment: the song can be sung solo unaccompanied (A ‘Capella) style; Singer accompanied by own instrument; Singer accompanied by own instrument and one other instrument or with another singer
- The song is to be the focus of the act not the performance
- The person who wrote the song is to be the performer
- Copyright: the Author is to retain Copyright of the song, lyrics and music
- Pre-selection Panel: the pre-selection panel will be made up of prominent people in the music genres mentioned above, and will choose 10 applicants to perform at The Judith Crossley Award Concert at the 2018 Fleurieu Folk Festival on Sunday 28th October at a time to be advised.
- Fleurieu Folk Festival will choose three appropriate Judges to judge the songs performed at the Festival and this will determine the winner of the event – the Judges’ decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into
Disclaimer: Fleurieu Folk Festival retains the right to video and record and use the recording for archival and promotional purposes of the Judith Crossley Award.
How to apply
Three paper copies of the lyrics, musical score and/or chords, as well as a sound recording of your song are to be sent to The Secretary, Fleurieu Folk Festival PO Box 52 Seaford South Australia 5169
Download an entry form:
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print PDF files. The reader can be downloaded for free by clicking HERE.