Flandreau to De Smet Sunday June 3
Wear your 2018 Jersey!!
Text "RASDAK" to (605) 269-0943 to receive weather emergencies and other significant info throughout the week
We leave the land of the Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe and bicycle north to Brookings, home to South Dakota State University. From there we will follow historic highway 14, visiting lake country and the communities of Volga, Arlington, and Lake Preston. We will finish at the Little Town on the Prairie, De Smet, setting for five of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s books.
Breakfast (5:30-7:00am CDT) FSST Community Center - Fundraiser for FSST Community Center youth programs
Youth Drum Group send-off (6:00 am)
First Presbyterian Church of Flandreau (mile 2.5) No rest stop – point of interest
The oldest continuously operating church in SD at 145 years. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was deemed notable for its "significant association with the earliest settlement of the Flandreau homestead colony by the Mdewakanton Dakota American Indians and with the leadership of Rev. John Eastman for his involvement in the religious, social and political life of the community." http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM16P3_First_Presbyterian_Church_at_Flandreau_SD
FSST Pow Wow grounds (mile 3) (Sweep 7:45)
As we head north we come to the FSST PowWow Grounds . This is a beautiful facility along the banks of the Big Sioux River. http://santeesioux.com/powwows/
481st Ave turn-off (mile 14) (Sweep 8:45) Sodbuster 4-H group
Aurora (mile 22) Lemke’s Bar and Grill (Sweep 9:45)
Brookings (mile 30) Home of South Dakota State University (Sweep 11:30) Rest stop is at SD Art Museum (see below)
- McCrory’s Gardens - A botanical garden & arboretum operated and maintained by South Dakota State University.
- Coughlin Campanile (Brookings) SDSU’s most famous landmark, the face of South Dakota State University, is a chimes tower that stands 165 feet tall. The campanile rings out the time, on the hour and plays music during the 10-minute period in-between classes as students are walking on campus. To visit the campanile and climb its 180 steps, check out a key at the Alumni Association office or the University Police Department. https://www.sdstate.edu/campus-tour/coughlin-campanile
- SD Art Museum on the SDSU campus. REST STOP for RASDAKIANS!! Cookies/bars, fresh fruit, trail mix, raisins, pretzels. Museum Admission is FREE!! The South Dakota Art Museum houses and cares for the world's largest Harvey Dunn collection. We will be going through his hometown of Manchester on Monday. https://www.sdstate.edu/south-dakota-art-museum
Volga (mile 37) Holiday and Casey's convenience stores (Sweep 12:00)
LUNCH STOP -- Arlington (mile 50) city park (Sweep 2:15) Fundraiser for Arlington Ambulance Squad
Wraps/hoagie buns with lunch meats and cheese, fruits and veggies, baked goods
- Arlington Chiropractic & Acupuncture will help you get the kinks out; stretch your muscles, Mini Trigger Point therapy session, dynamic taping. It is a fund raiser for the Arlington Baseball program ($25), In the park.
Lake Preston (mile 62) New Horizon Lounge (Sweep 3:30) 2 blocks north off route. Cold refreshments and Brats!
Three people told us to check out the New Horizon Lounge in Lake Preston, we did, and it will be a great stop!
De Smet (mile 72)
De Smet Event and Wellness Center (indoor camping location). Limited showers at the Events Center. Additional showers are available at Washington park and the high school.
Washington Park (outdoor camping) North of the De Smet Event and Wellness Center
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society (9am-5:30pm) Admission $12 - offers tours of several historic sites occupied by the Ingalls family. http://discoverlaura.org/
- De Smet Depot Museum (10am-5pm) Donation https://www.cityofdesmet.com/depot-museum
- Ingalls Homestead (9am-7pm) Admission $15 https://www.ingallshomestead.com/
4:00-5:00pm CDT: Weekend riders load bikes on truck going back to Sioux Falls
5:30pm CDT Dinner (De Smet Event and Wellness Center) Weekend riders go to front of the dinner line so you can catch the 6:00 bus!! De Smet Fire Department will be serving beer. The De Smet Music Boosters will serve a pulled pork sandwich with beans, lettuce salad, macaroni salad & desert.
6:00pm CDT Bus/bike departure back to Sioux Falls for weekend riders
Monday morning breakfast (5:30am CDT) De Smet Event and Wellness Center