What We Believe
We adhere to the 16 Fundamental Truths of the Assemblies of God.
- The Scriptures are Inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- There is only One True God–revealed in three persons...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
- In the Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's son Jesus was both human and divine.
- though originally good, Man Willingly Fell to Sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- Every Person Can Have Restored Fellowship with God Through 'Salvation' (accepting Christ's offer of forgiveness for sin). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- and practice two ordinances—(1) Water Baptism by Immersion after repenting of one's sins and receiving Christ's gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.
- the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a Special Experience Following Salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times. [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- The Initial Physical Evidence of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is ‘Speaking in Tongues,’ as experienced on the Day
- of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- Sanctification Initially Occurs at Salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christlike.
- The Church has a Mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin.
- A Divinely Called and Scripturally Ordained Leadership Ministry Serves the Church.
- Divine Healing of the Sick is a Privilege for Christians Today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- in The Blessed Hope—When Jesus Raptures His Church Prior to His Return to Earth(the second coming). [1 of 4 cardinal doctrines of the A/G]
- in The Millennial Reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years.
- A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ.
- and look forward to the perfect New Heavens and a New Earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him.
To view the full statements of faith click here.
Pastor Jeff and Carolyn Mount
Pastor Jeff, and his wife Carolyn, have been in ministry together for over three decades. After graduating from Central Bible College in Springfield, Missouri in 1976, they served as youth pastors in Illinois, Missouri and New York. They then served two home missions congregations; one in South Buffalo, New York and the other in Lewis Center, Ohio. After serving an Assembly of God congregation in Lake Alfred, Florida, Pastor and Mrs. Mount accepted the call to Woonsocket, Rhode Island in January of 2011. They have four grown children (Jeremy, Elisabeth, Emily and Joel), and currently seven grandchildren.
How it all began
First Assembly of God was founded in 1964 after Carl Guiney, of Lafayette, Indiana, and Calvin Carmen of Niagara Falls, New York, came to the city of Woonsocket feeling prompted by the Holy Spirit to begin a church in Woonsocket. Carmen returned to complete his education in Springfield, Missouri. Pastor Guiney remained in Woonsocket. A neighboring pastor in Franklin, MA, Reverend Raymond Shepherd, assisted Rev. Guiney as they visited homes during the summer and fall of 1964 giving out invitations to attend Rev. Guiney’s first service held November 1, 1964 at the Globe Park Elementary School.
The First Building and Growing Years
Two years later, in 1966, the Southern New England District assisted the church in the purchase of the old Polish National Catholic Church on Arnold Street where Rev. Guiney agreed to reside. Rev. Guiney married Faith Shepherd in June of 1968. From 1966-1980 many renovations were made to the church building on Arnold Street as well as seeing a growing congregation develop; many outreaches to and for the community were held. But then, in October of 1980, a terrible fire destroyed the entire building and its contents along with four other buildings on Arnold Street.
The church family, though, were not destroyed. They once again began to meet in a local school (Bernon Heights Elementary School and later in the basement of First Baptist Church). In 1983, the congregation found a new location purchasing the property at 420 Mendon Road. The church built on the current site; completing the first level of the fan shaped building where services resumed in its Fellowship Hall. Also in 1983 Rev. Ray Shepherd and his wife Edna, joined the ministry team. In 2002, the building was finally completed and the upstairs sanctuary was dedicated to the glory of God.
After more than 40 years of service Pastor Guiney and Faith announced their retirement in 2010. Upon retirement Pastor Guiney was given the title of Pastor Emeritus for his outstanding years of service at First Assembly of God in Woonsocket; Pastor Guiney passed away on April 29, 2011. Pastor Shepherd and Edna also retired in 2010.
Pastor Jeffrey Mount, of Niagara Falls, New York, and his wife, Carolyn, became the current pastor on January 1, 2011. Exterior building renovations were recently completed in 2011 and an expanded parking lot was completed in 2014. The congregation today is healthy and thriving as it continues to Reach, Teach, Touch, and Love the surrounding communities.
Child Protection & Safety Policy
- All children’s and youth workers are members of this church and have been screened by the Child Protection Safety Committee, approved by the Church Board, and have completed a criminal background check, if applicable.
- Church nursery and classrooms are staffed by highly qualified, trained, and approved workers.
- Our "Policy for Children and Youth" is available upon request.