About Feldman's Historic District

A Place in National History

Feldman’s Historic District was nominated in 1989 for the National Register of Historic Places, and it was known as Speedway-Drachman. In 2005, the boundaries of the district were expanded and the name was changed to Feldman’s Historic District.

The historic district is primarily situated within the bounds of the historic Feldman’s Addition subdivision, but also includes bits of Steinfeld, Tucson Heights, Schumacher, and University Home Addition subdivisions.

No Coughing, Please

The settlement of Feldman's Historic District from around 1908 through the 1920s stemmed from a national movement to the Southwest for treatment of tuberculosis. Four tuberculosis sanatoriums were in the Feldman's Historic District, and the area was derisively referred to as "Lung Hill."

Surviving sanatoriums now used for other purposes include the Whitwell Sanatorium, 721 E. Adams; St. Luke’s Home, at Lee and 1st Avenue; La Lomita, 1214 N. 2nd Avenue; and Idle Rest Home, 1124 N. Euclid.

Arizona Star article on the history of Alther M. Feldman: