Fall 2019 Flex Schedule
Navigate by clicking the tabs on the left hand side of the page scroll to the bottom of the page to be sure to read everything!
On behalf of the Faculty Development Committee, I welcome you to the Fall 2019 Flex Week!! Yes, we have a full week of fun, collaborating, learning and growing for our Flex Schedule this year. On the next page you will find the schedule embedded. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom to see every great workshop!
Here are some highlights to look for:
- On Monday, enjoy a wide range of activities on the Palm Desert Campus including Program Showcases and a full day of adjunct meetings. If getting outside is more your thing, join Kurt Leuschner on the annual Tram Hike. Finish the day in Palm Springs for a "Happy Hour".
- On Tuesday, spend a day at the Indio Campus and learn about the many great things happening at COD including a Guided Pathways update in the morning, budget and facilities updates and lots of great information about the many programs to enhance student success at COD.
- On Wednesday we are back at the Palm Desert Campus for a Technology focused day. The President's Message, all faculty and staff luncheon and division and department meetings are all scheduled for Wednesday. Join our guest Mark Reardon from Centre Pointe Leadership for his keynote address "Navigating the New Reality. A Principle-Centered Approach to Teaching and Learning"
- Thursday is a full day workshop with Mark Reardon, Strategies for Great Teaching. Participants will receive a copy of Mark's book. This event is full. We have scheduled a repeat of this event for Saturday October 26th. You can sign up here.
- Friday is up to you. Flex on your own! Check out the details on the Friday schedule. (Please note, some programs will have meetings on Friday, check with your department chair or dean).
Here is hoping you have a wonderful flex week and are returning to COD refreshed and ready for the fall semester. On behalf of the faculty development committee, have a great semester!
Donna Greene, Faculty Development Chair
The purpose of the flexible calendar program is to provide time for faculty and staff to participate in development activities that are related to “staff, student, and instructional improvement” (Title 5, section 55720). The flexible calendar program is a component of the staff development program and the major vehicle for faculty participation in development activities. The flexible calendar program allows faculty (full-time, part-time, instructional and non-instructional) the time to work individually or with groups to achieve improvement in three distinct areas; Staff improvement, Student improvement, Instructional improvement.
Since the flexible calendar program removes time from the instructional program, it is a reasonable expectation that use of this time should foster instructional improvement.