Sustainable Development, Urban Economics and International Trade
I study the impact of globalization on the location choice of individuals and firms, on public policies and on welfare.
Mes enseignements (Microéconomie, Macroéconomie, Economie Internationale, Economie Urbaine et Régionale) sont disponibles ici.
- "Pollution Haven and Corruption Paradise" co-written with E Dienesch, forthcoming in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
We test and confirm the "pollution haven hypothesis" for European firms: environmental norms foster relocation of European affiliates in countries with intermediate level of bad governance and good market access to the EU.
Presented at Ridge (Uruguay, dec 2016), King's College (july 2016, workshop on corruption), 2016 conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, GREDEG, U. Nice (12 nov 2015), INFER Workshop on Economic Geography, Agglomeration and Environment, U. Corte (sept 2015), ETSG (sept 2015), Cerdi, U. Auv (31/03/15), Lead, U. Toulon (12/03/15), Research Sem in Economics and Econometrics, U. Geneva (2014).
- Work in Progress: Local Pollution Elasticity of Environmental Regulation with E Dienesch.
The European Union
- Corporate Income Tax as a Genuine Own Resource with Jacques Le Cacheux, 2017, SSRN. [Quelques éléments de cet article sont abordés par Jacques Le Cacheux dans Challenges et ont été présentés au Parlement Européen et aux printemps de l'éco 2017]
- Study on the potential and limitations of reforming the financing of the EU budget with Jorge Núñez Ferrer, Jacques Le Cacheux, Giacomo Benedetto, Mathieu Saunier, Claude Emonnot, Florence Lachet-Touya, Jorgen Mortensen, Aymeric Potteau, Igor Taranic, 2015. Expertise commissioned by the European Commission on behalf of the High Level Group on Own Resources. Available on the website of the European Commission.
- What are EU Trade Preferences Worth for Sub-Saharan Africa and other Developing Countries? with Sébastien Jean. Expertise commissioned by the World Bank. Published in Trade Preference Erosion: Measurement and Policy Response edited by B Hoekman, W Martin and C Primo Braga, World Bank and Palgrave-Macmillian series. (Working paper available at the World Bank website). Citations: 149 [including quotations of working papers]
- Market Access for Developing Countries with Y. Decreux, L. Fontagné, S. Jean, D. Laborde, T. Mayer, S. Zignago, 2004. Expertise commissioned by the European Consortium for the Trade policy Analysis (ECTA) , DG Trade, European Commission.
- Evaluation des effets économiques des fonds structurels européens with S. Dall’erba, J. Le Cacheux, J. Le Gallo, 2003. Contrat avec la Région Aquitaine.
Urban and Regional Economics
- Spatial Distribution of Skills and Regional Trade Integration with Elisa Dienesch, The Annals of Regional Science, 2015, Volume 54, Issue 2, Page 451-488. DOI: 10.1007/s00168-015-0662-4.
Trade integration (including internal integration using the Commodity Flow Survey) positively impacted the proportion of skilled workers at the regional scale in the US between 1997 and 2007.
- Is Agglomeration Desirable? Annals of Economics and Statistics, 2011, Vol 101/102, 203-229 (lead article in Applied Microeconomic Theory). Working Paper.
- Entrepreneurs’ Location Choice and Public Policies, a Survey of the New Economic Geography. Journal of Economic Surveys. Vol. 22, Issue 5, pp. 909-952
- Urban costs, Trade Costs and Tax Competition. Revue d’Economie Politique, 2008, Vol 118,5, p. 625-661 (lead article).
- Good Governance, Trade and Agglomeration, Papers in Regional Science, 2008, Vol 87 Issue 4, 483-504 (lead article).
This paper has received the Martin Beckmann Prize 2009 for the best paper in Papers in Regional Science for 2008.
- How Income and Crowding Effects Influence the World Market for French Wines with Florent Deisting and Julie Schlick, The World Economy, forthcoming, DOI: 10.1111/twec.12446. Working Paper.
- The Effect of the Euro on the Aeronautic Trade: a French Regional Analysis with Serge Rey, Economic Modelling, 2014 (41), 345-355. doi:10.1016/j.econmod.2014.05.017 Working Paper.
- International Trade in Outermost Europe: Comparative Analysis of Mayotte Island and French Overseas Departments with Serge Rey, The European Journal of Comparative Economics. 2014. Vol. 11, n. 1, pp. 123-146.
- Agglomeration and Welfare with Heterogeneous Preferences with Marc Fleurbaey, Open Economies Review, 2011, Volume 22, Issue 4, pp 685–708