- Asthma is a chronic lung disease of airway inflammation and constriction of the airway muscles.
- Symptoms include shortness of breath, chest tightness, wheezing and cough. This may cause trouble sleeping or waking at night.
- Triggers include allergies, irritant odors, cold air, infections and exercise.
- Asthma is diagnosed by a thorough history, physical examination and pulmonary function testing in our office.
- Treatment may include trigger avoidance, inhaled medications, and/or allergy shots based on testing results.
- Some patients with severe disease may benefit from biologics, an advanced injectable therapy offered at ETAA.
- With proper treatment, patients with asthma can enjoy an active lifestyle and participate fully in outdoor sports and hobbies.