Awards, Grants etc.
- I've been invited to attend the 6th Heidelberg Laureate Forum.
- I've been awarded a fellowship of the Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, for the Brain and Computation Program.
- My PhD thesis On the computational power of simple dynamics has been awarded the Best PhD Thesis in Theoretical Computer Science Award by the Italian Chapter of EATCS.
- Outstanding PhD Student of Year 2015-2016 Award (ex-equo), awarded by the Computer Science PhD School of Sapienza University of Rome to the best PhD student(s) of the School.
- The paper "KADABRA is an ADaptive Algorithm for Betweenness via Random Approximation" by Michele Borassi and me won the Best Student Paper (Track B) at ESA 2016.
- The paper "Plurality Consensus in the Gossip Model" (SODA '15) by L. Becchetti, A. Clementi, me, F. Pasquale, and R. Silvestri, won the Best Paper of the PhD School in CS at Sapienza 2015, with two other papers.
Thanks for their support:
2018 - I'm an external participant to the 2017 Mission Sustainability Project "ISIDE" led by Francesco Pasquale at University of Rome "Tor Vergata".
August 2015 - I've been granted a "Progetti Avvio alla Ricerca Anno 2015", some grants from Sapienza University reserved to PhD students and postdocs.
September 2014 - I joined the group awarded the Italian MIUR-PRIN 2010-11 Project ARS TechnoMedia, coordinated by Alessandro Panconesi.
October 2013 - Awarded an Italian Government PhD Scholarship at Sapienza University of Rome.
2008 - 2013 - My bachelor's and master's studies were supported by LAZIODISU Scholarship - Agency for the Right to University Studies in the Lazio region.
Organized Workshops et sim.
Spring 2018 - I've been organizing the Brain-related Computing Interest Group's meetings in the The Brain and Computation Program of the Simons Institute.
November 2015 - With Luca Becchetti, Andrea Clementi and Francesco Pasquale, I organized the second edition of the workshop Kolmogorov Meets Turing.
Conference reviews for STOC, SODA, PODC, ICALP, SPAA, Random Structures & Algorithms, DISC, IPDPS, ICDCS, OPODIS, EUROPAR, SIROCCO, CIAC.
Journal reviews for Distributed Computing, PLOS One, JCSS, Computer Networks, Physics Letter A, ACM Transactions on Parallel Computing.
(I'm not reporting all short visits)
I've been visiting Ofer Feinerman's lab at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
I've been visiting George Giakkoupis at INRIA, Rennes.
I've been visiting Amos Korman at IRIF, Paris.
I've been visiting Petra Berenbrink's group, Universität Hamburg.
Visiting PhD student of Petra Berenbrink's group, Universität Hamburg.
Visiting PhD student of Robert Elsässer's Efficient Algorithms Group, University of Salzburg.
Visiting PhD student at LIAFA (now IRIF), invited by Pierre Fraigniaud.
2013 - 2017
PhD in Computer Science
Sapienza - Università di Roma
Advised by Riccardo Silvestri and Andrea Clementi.
Final evaluation: Outstanding cum laude.
February 2011 - July 2013
Master's degree in Computer Science
Università di Roma Tor Vergata
2008 - 2011
BSc. in Mathematics
Università di Roma Tor Vergata
Schools & Workshops
(The following list is not exhaustive after September 2015 (and not updated anymore after October 2017))
COST Action CA15140 'Improving Applicability of Nature-Inspired Optimisation by Joining Theory and Practice (ImAppNIO)'
4rd Workshop on Biological Distributed Algorithms
Chicago (co-located with PODC'16)
Cargèse fall school on random graphs
3rd Workshop on Biological Distributed Algorithms
Workshop "Random Walks on Random Graphs and Applications"
Summer School on Randomized Techniques for Combinatorial Algorithms
Simon Fraser University
Fall School "Phase Transition in Random Discrete Structures"
Graz University of Technology
AILA Summer School in Logic
Associazione Italiana di Logica e sue Applicazioni
The Rome-Moscow School of Matrix Methods and Applied Linear Algebra
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Institute of Numerical Mathematics INM-RAS and Università di Roma Tor Vergata
Accepted solutions to mathematical problem solving journals
- Mathematical Excalibur: 341 p.s. (published solution), 356 p.s., 364 p.s., 370 p.s.
- Mathematical Reflections: u166 p.s., u172 p.s., u175 p.s., u179 p.s., u182 p.s., u185 p.s., u195 p.s.
- Mathematics Magazine: m1846. “Ponder This” - IBM Research: December 2012, August 2013.
Social Service Activity
2008 - 2009
CNGEI (Corpo Nazionale Giovani Esploratori ed Esploratrici Italiani)
After several years as a member of the CNGEI Boy Scouts in the towns of Velletri and Colleferro (Rome) during my high-school years, I co-founded the Boy Scouts CNGEI group in Artena and served, from September 2008 to August / 2009, as a vice chief scout of the Esploratori group (age range 11-16).
Archimede Cooperativa Sociale Onlus
I served as a children's entertainer in Archimede's summer camp in Velletri, taking care of a child with autism for one month.
Murales - Rocca Priora Newspaper
I volunteered as satirical cartoonist for the weekly newspaper of Rocca Priora (Rome).
During middle school and early high school, I practiced Karate Shotokan, passing the 1st dan black belt exam.
During my high school years I won several regional poetry and literary contests, such as Oltre Aniene, Letteralmente Pace, and a honorary plaque for Artena citizens.