Welcome to the Advanced Orchestra page!
Every year we participate in the Trills & Thrills Music Festival. Spring 2016 we scored Superior Rating in both the Full Symphony Orchestra (aka Advanced Orchestra), and Strings Only! This year we also took Suprerior Rating in Strings Only, and Excellent Rating in Symphony Orchestra.
Students from Concert Band also join in to fill in the parts that are missing from full symphonic scores, like Timpani, and more woodwinds, and brass. When it is close to concerts/festivals, students dedicate additional rehearsal time after school once or twice a week.
Services & Events
Side-by-Side Orchestra Rehearsal at Westmont College in Santa Barbara in the Fall semester 2016.
March 10, 2017 the Advanced Orchestra was Work-shopped by the Los Angeles Youth Orchestra - Orchestra Manager Paul Piazza, an ECR alumni, trumpet player, and two of his colleagues a Bassoon player graduate of the Juilliard School and a violinist worked with the students in different rehearsal rooms to bring a new interpretation to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, and Beethoven's 7th Symphony.
Private lessons were offered and sponsored by ECRCHS in the Spring 2016 semester by Sabrina Cabral, Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA) graduate and Youth Orchestra of LA (YOLA) teacher, to all violinists and violists. She is also a graduate of Cal State Fullerton.
New things implemented this year:
- Fussell, Exercises for Ensemble Drill for all classes (except Guitar Ensemble and Drumline)
- Suzuki String Books, Volumes I, and II for Violin, Viola, Celli, Bass
- Beethoven, Symphony No. 1, movement I
- Beethoven, Symphony No. 7, movement II
- Beethoven, Egmont Overture
- Bizet, Farandole, from L'Arlesienne Suite, No. 2
- Gantz, Original Student Composition, Orchestral Waltz
- Grieg, Holberg Suite, movements I and II
- Holst, St. Paul's Suite, movements I and II
- Johann Strauss II, On the Beautiful Blue Danube
- Liszt, Piano Concerto No. 1, movement I
- Mozart, Symphony 40, movement I
- Schubert, Unfinished Symphony, movement I
- Sibelius, Valse Triste
- Other pieces include: Star Wars and Harry Potter
Currently made up of 31 students:
- Flute I, II (five in concert band)
- Oboe (subs from Harmony Project)
- Clarinet (five in concert band)
- Bassoon (two total - one in orchestra)
- Trumpet (four total - one in orchestra)
- Trombone (five total - one in orchestra)
- Violin I - 8
- Violin II - 9
- Viola - 6
- Violoncello - 6
- Double Bass - 2