Chang Scholarship Program
The mission of the Davis Schools Orchestral Music Association (DSOMA) is to support music students and the music program in general. We believe that the best way for a student to improve is to study one-on-one with a private tutor. Donations from the Robert and Yinette Chang Family Fund provide scholarships for private lessons to DJUSD students. The Chang Scholarship Program, administered by the Board of Directors of DSOMA, awards scholarships intending to supplement a long-term commitment to private lessons and musical excellence.The Chang Scholarship Program Coordinator matches students and tutors.
Tutors are 9th grade or higher DJUSD student musicians approved by DSOMA Chang Scholarship Committee. DSOMA makes scholarship payments directly to the tutor based on the funding availability. Scholarship awards are up to $300 each—an amount sufficient to pay for 30 weekly lessons of 30 minutes.
Both tutees and tutors are invited to apply for participation in the program
A DSOMA committee evaluates the applications and makes the final decisions. The committee uses the following criteria for selecting scholarship recipients:
- Demonstrated financial need;
- Music teacher recommendation—
- Potential for musical growth;
- Past participation, attitude, responsibility, and maturity;
- Commitment to the music program from both student and parent(s); and
- Active interest and support of parent(s) to the student and to the music program.
- Fill and send in the application form to DSOMA Chang Scholarship Committee.
- Applicants need to either be recommended by a school music teacher or provide video clips that shows their qualification.
- Once approved and received a matching student, fill the additional forms:
- Chang Scholarship Tutor Waiver of Liability & Indemnification Agreement
- W – 9
- After lessons start, fill and return the following forms at the proper time:
- Chang Scholarship Lessons Agreement (submitted after the first meeting between tutee and tutor)
- Chang Scholarship Lessons Record (submitted at the conclusion of each 10 sessions)
For more information or assistance, contact: Chang Scholarship Program Coordinator at email@example.com.