Alistar dashed through the woods at full speed, the moonlight occasionally glinting off his armor. He knew the vampire couldn't be far ahead and he feared losing him so close to the village. As he rounded the corner of a large tree, he could see the vampire stopped in the distance. He seemed to have stopped in place staring at his feet. This was Alistar's chance.
His sword drawn, he slowly approached his quarry ready to swing. As he drew closer, he finally saw what the vampire was intently focused on. A small tiefling girl was sitting at the vampire's feet. Alistar paused in disbelief. How did this child get here and where was its' parents? He needed to react fast or it would surely be the next victim.
The vampire bent over to pick up the child and Alistar's eyes grew wide. Suddenly, the child's eyes turned from gold to red and a bright light emanated from her striking the vampire. Momentarily blinded by the light, the vampire staggered back in pain. Alistar saw his opportunity and launched forward. As he drove his sword through the vampire, he could hear the child give an unusual giggle.
Pulling his sword from the dead vampire, he bent down to look closer at the child. When he decided to hunt this evil creature, he never expected to find himself in this situation. Focusing his energy on the child, he could sense the evil of the demonic blood flowing through her but also the light of a divine spark.
The clouds cleared momentarily filling the glade with moonlight. Upon the girl's forehead, Alistar's eyes were drawn to the sun tattooed between her horns. "Blessed be the dawnflower's light." he said aloud. The girl smiled and reached up for him. Bending down to pick her up, he couldn't help but smile when she clutched him tightly and giggled to herself.
He returned to the village but nobody recognized the child. In fact, they were scared of her tiefling heritage. Fearing for her life if left here, he decided to continue his travels until a better situation arose. "I will call you Reiya, for you are a ray of light in the darkness"
Paladin Code of Sarenrae:
• I will protect my allies with my life. They are my light and my strength, as I am their light and their strength. We rise together.
• I will seek out and destroy the spawn of the Rough Beast. If I cannot defeat them, I will give my life trying. If my life would be wasted in the attempt, I will find allies. If any fall because of my inaction, their deaths lie upon my soul, and I will atone for each.
• I am fair to others. I expect nothing for myself but that which I need to survive.
• The best battle is a battle I win. If I die, I can no longer fight. I will fight fairly when the fight is fair, and I will strike quickly and without mercy when it is not.
• I will redeem the ignorant with my words and my actions. If they will not turn toward the light, I will redeem them by the sword.
• I will not abide evil, and will combat it with steel when words are not enough. I do not flinch from my faith, and do not fear embarrassment. My soul cannot be bought for all the stars in the sky.
• I will show the less fortunate the light of the Dawnflower. I will live my life as her mortal blade, shining with the light of truth.
• Each day is another step toward perfection. I will not turn back into the dark.