Remember Your First Job?
Flipping burgers, selling lemonade or mowing lawns for the summer...
For local youth, Summer17 is a nine-week employment opportunity (June 26-August 25) that sets the stage for a life-long career, opens doors to new industries, and provides mentorship critical to building professional networks.
In a pilot program conducted last year, 26 businesses employed and mentored 50 youth who gained meaningful work experience and income. Summer17 seeks to expand the success of last year’s pilot.
We are looking to partner with area businesses willing to employ one or more youth; and provide a $9/hour pay rate (total employer cost is approximately $1,760 for the summer based on a 20-hour work week).
Businesses interested in participating will be asked to:
- sign a partnership agreement that outlines program expectations
- utilize a workplan or job description to guide the work of their youth employee(s)
- provide meaningful mentoring opportunities
- ensure availability of a supervisor to participate in the placement process and attend interviewing, training & orientation meetings to adequately prepare you for Summer17.
Bringing on a younger employee may come with hesitation. Rest assured every youth you hire will have:
- reliable transportation
- identification necessary for employment eligibility
- attended a “Soft Skills Academy” inclusive of training on communication, attendance, attire, conflict resolution, professionalism, hygiene & networking
An employee coach will also be available throughout Summer17 to provide HR, payment and youth training support.
We all know how important a first job or internship can be to shaping a future career.
By becoming a Summer17 Employer, you provide on-the-job training that serves as the critical “stepping stone” youth need to increase their marketability in today’s competitive job market.
Important Employer Dates
Mar. 31: University of Michigan Employer Application Period Ends
Apr. 21: Employer Application Period Ends
May 9: Employer Orientation & Training (8:30am-10:30am)
June 26: Employment Period Begins
Aug. 25: Employment Period Ends