Remember Your First Job?
Flipping burgers, selling lemonade or mowing lawns for the summer...
For local youth, Summer18 is a ten-week employment opportunity (June 18-Aug. 24) that sets the stage for a life-long career, opens doors to new industries, and provides mentorship critical to building professional networks.
Last year, 80 businesses employed & mentored youth who gained meaningful work experience & income. This equates to 12,780+ work experience hours and $124,960+ invested in our youths’ future success.
For Summer18, we look to double the number of opportunities for local youth....and YOU CAN HELP!
We all know how important a first job or internship can be to shaping a future career.
By becoming a Summer18 Employer, you provide on-the-job training that serves as the critical “stepping stone” youth need to increase their marketability in today’s competitive job market.
Businesses interested in participating in Summer18 must commit to:
- interviewing (May 23), training & orientation (April 17) sessions
- ongoing mentoring of youth employees during the employment period (June 18-Aug. 24)
- paying a youth employee an hourly wage of either $10/hour or $12/hour based on completion of a high school degree or equivalent (total employer cost is approximately $2,000-$2,400/youth employee based on a 20-hour work week)
“This was our first year participating in the program...our youth was well-equipped for working in a professional environment & the program staff communicated directly with us on a regular basis which enriched our experience.” Brandie Ekpiken, U-M
Bringing on a younger employee may come with hesitation. Rest assured! Every youth you hire will have:
- reliable transportation
- identification necessary for employment eligibility
- attended a “Soft Skills Academy” inclusive of training on attendance, attire, conflict resolution & professionalism
An employee coach will also be available throughout Summer18 to provide HR, payment and youth training support.
Important Employer Dates
Jan 16: Employer Application Period Opens
Apr 17: Employer Orientation & Training
May 30: Match Day/Speed Interviews (5:30pm - 8pm | Morris Lawrence Building | Washtenaw Community College)
Jun 18: Employment Period Begins
Aug 24: Employment Period Ends