When You Need a Building Inspection

Being able to recognise when you need a building inspection isn’t a skill that has to be learnt, it’s something that can be identified from the offset; if you’re willing to do a bit of research. There are half a dozen unique types of inspection and each one has its own variants depending on the type of building being inspected.

Australian legislation makes some of these inspections an obligation; while others are simply recommended to cover the contractor or home owner should the worst happen.

When an inspection is an obligation

If you are planning on building on shared land, if you are having work done on a feature that may affect those nearby (such as a shared wall or driveway), if you are renovating to resell in 6 years, or if you have a project booked that will pose a risk either before, during, or after construction – then you will be legally obliged to invest in an inspection.

When they are optional, but still highly recommended

For those of you that are hoping to have minor renovations done on your home, it might be easy to overlook the need for an inspection, but the reality is that dilapidation reports and 137b reports can be an ideal way to ensure that any structure being modified, upgraded, or replaced follows the correct procedures. A dilapidation report in specific is a good way to make an official note of a structure’s condition before and after work has been carried out, while a 137b will be needed (but not always obligatory) for new builds and major home refurbishments.