Strategic manager focused on helping organisations transform business performance
Senior Knowledge Management and Innovation professional able to harness organisational knowledge sharing processes to generate lessons learned and best practices. A strong leader and programme/people manager with an innovative mindset and the vision and abilities to bring new ideas, as well as complex strategies and systems to life, as an exceptional communicator with a proven track record of improving organisational capacity and efficiencies. A keen advocate of the power of social innovation to create change at a transformative scale.
Aug 2015 – Present Innovation and Knowledge Management Specialist • UNFPA, Johannesburg
Developing and leading inter-connected innovation and knowledge management processes across the East and Southern Africa Regional Programme, in support of 23 UNFPA Country Ofﬁces.
- Facilitating the offices to exchange lessons learned, overcome bottlenecks and achieve best practice
- In charge of all aspects of developing and leading a flagship innovation initiative, the UNFPA Innovation Accelerator, a mentorship-driven acceleration program supporting young entrepreneurs to generate innovative solutions to challenges related to sexual and reproductive health; demonstrating considerable growth and securing an A plus rating from the donor (UK Aid)
- Currently the leading region on innovation, as the first region to launch an Innovation Action Plan
- Introducing two innovative platforms for knowledge sharing, the Innovation Toolkit and the ESARO Knowledge Hub - highly valuable resources for staff members
Apr 2014 – Jun 2015 Knowledge Manager • DXI (start-up company acquired by 8X8 in 2015)
Established better mechanisms for knowledge sharing and internal communication for this fast-growing start-up telecommunication software company that specialised in unified communication platforms.
- Created a stronger team ethos by developing an internal communication strategy that promoted cross-departmental knowledge sharing and innovation, whilst sharing lessons learned
- Established a well-utilised Intranet system, which featured user guides, collaborative tools, templates and workflows, as well as generated key documents, to solidify and share business processes for the first time
- Trained and facilitated staff members to be able to positively participate in social media outreach activities on behalf of DXI
Jan 2012 – Dec 2013 Knowledge Management & Communications Specialist • UNEP, Nairobi
Successfully completed various productive placements as a MDG Achievement Fund / Community Facilitator, UNEP South-South Cooperation Exchange Mechanism / Coordinator and Social Media Coordinator for Global South-South Development Expo 2013:
MDG Achievement Fund / Community Facilitator
- Managed the knowledge management function of a UN joint initiative involving 17 Country Programmes on environment and climate change - generated lessons learned and best practices on multi-sector programming at a national level in environment and climate change, via digital and offline formats
UNEP South-South Cooperation Exchange Mechanism / Coordinator
- Effectively established this network of governments, UN agencies, NGOs etc. to mobilise political will for South-South Cooperation through crucial knowledge sharing, promoting understanding of how challenges in the development field can be best overcome
Social Media Coordinator for Global South-South Development Expo 2013
- Designed the online strategy for this environmental event focused on young people, managing a team of 40 onsite and online volunteers to ensure the continuous engagement and participation of almost 6 million people, with the Twitter hashtag #GSSD13 being among the top 5 most popular topics of conversation in Kenya for the duration of the event
Jan 2011 – Dec 2011 Fellow • UNDESA, Nairobi
Selected as one of only 20 UN Fellows from over 4000 applicants for the 2011 intake of the UN Fellowship Program, which provides opportunities for young people to work in the UN.
- Offered valuable knowledge management support to the Africa Parliamentary Knowledge Network (APKN), assisting capacity building activities and the sharing of best practices among African parliaments
Sept 2010 – Nov 2010 Consultant • KM4Dev
- Initiated the idea for, and designed, an online collaborative portal for this global community of international development practitioners involved in knowledge management; still in active use today
Jul 2008 – Feb 2010 Consultant • UNDP, New York
- Created an online knowledge base to support 5 of UNDP’s internal communities of practice, capturing and sharing invaluable organisational knowledge via wiki platforms on policies, programmes and projects
Sep 2007 – Feb 2008 Intern • UNDP, New York
- Created an online and offline knowledge base to support the Environment and Energy Network (EE-Net) Facilitation Team in the capture and sharing of invaluable organisational knowledge via wiki platforms
“Seeds of Knowledge: Contributing to Climate Change Solutions", UNEP, 2012 - A booklet of 24 case studies from 17 countries on grassroots solutions to the impacts of climate change.
Education and professional development
- MA International Cooperation, Development, Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI) (2007)
- Thesis: Case study on participatory approach in environment conservation projects, with a focus on the rights of indigenous peoples and the opportunity to adopt policies of inclusion in environmental conﬂicts' negotiation
- BA Development & International Cooperation, University of Bologna (2007)
- Thesis: Case study on democratic governance and the role of civil society in monitoring and improving local government practices, with a focus on Deliberative Democracy techniques
Professional training & seminars
Lean Data Approaches to Measure Social Impact (2017), Design Thinking for Innovation: Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation (2016, completed 2 of 5 modules), Supervising Interns – The 3 Rs (2013), Results Based Management (RBM) Project Management Training (2012), UN Fellows Workshop: Tools for Development Cooperation (2010), Children and Development (UNICEF, 2003), Dialogue between North and South for each other’s development (NGO COSPE / MAEDGCS, 2003)
Italian (native), English (fluent) and Spanish (proficient - certified DELE C1 in 2013)
- Core Group Member of Knowledge Management for Development (KM4Dev), a community of international development practitioners specialising in knowledge management and sharing
- Act in a voluntary capacity within a steering committee for KM4Dev, supporting the needs of members and building the community