Dave's Faves 1997
2. Who Killed Bobby Fuller? – Black 47 / Home of the Brave
I’m not sure what to make of this band. I got this from some grab bag deal from the record club (5 mystery CDs for the price of one). They’re a mixture of political / Irish / Brooklyn / I don’t know what, but I kind of like them.
5. Still Wonder – Jonny Lang / Lie To Me
The teenage wonder from North Dakota. I first saw him at the Cabooze when he was 14, and then this summer at the Zoo (17). He’ll warm up the Rolling Stones in January.
8. Once In A Lifetime – The Talking Heads / Popular Favorites 1976–1983 Sand in the Vaseline
Originally on 1980’s Remain in Light, this was a popular favorite when I was in my first year in Arizona. I only got the first CD of the collection, but it has the best stuff on it anyway.
9. Fallen Is Babylon – Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers / Fallen Is Babylon
Ziggy and the gang aren’t as strong as they once were, but this CD is better than their last. I almost included a song called Long Winter, but what do Jamaicans know about that?
10. Man Smart, Woman Smarter – C.J. Chenier & The Red Hot Louisiana Band / The Alligator Records 25th Anniversary Collection
A little Zydeco to warm you up. The Alligator collection is great, as are all of the Alligator House Rockin’ series.
12. Seasons of Love – Rent by Jonathan Larson / Original Broadway Cast
This actually starts the second act, but it sound great at the end of a tape. I saw this show on a whim for its first preview when it ran here. I was in the back of the house, and they hadn’t quite figured out the sound, so I had to buy the recording to find out what the lyrics were. I was pleased.
14. That's Not Love – Keb' Mo' / Just Like You
The best surprise of the year. We saw him this summer in a Zoo package that included Jonny Lang and Luther Allison. It was a great concert, and the CD (picked up for cheap used at Cheapo) is fabulous.
15. Without You – Rent by Jonathan Larson / Original Broadway Cast
Well, it took a few years, but finally some musical tune made it to Dave’s Faves. If truth be told, I listen to a lot of musicals. Don’t worry, Liza Minnelli will not be showing up in years to come (probably).
17. Cherry Red Wine – Luther Allison / The Alligator Records 25th Anniversary Collection
Sad to say, Luther passed away about a month after his Zoo concert. It was apparently his last. He was magical that night.
18. Lie To Me – Jonny Lang / Lie To Me
Jonny’s big song, written by Bruce McCabe of Lamont Cranston and the Hoopsnakes. Bruce also plays on the recording, and tours with Jonny’s band. That’s one guy who I’m glad is finally making it big.
19. Salzburg Symphony #1: Presto – W.A. Mozart / Some Cheap Best Buy CD
Yeah that’s right, Mozart. I’ve probably seen more live classical music this year than rock and roll. A little three and a half minute single. I dare you to crank it!
20. Get Yo Groove On – Prince / Emancipation
It’s a pretty good CD, although at three discs, it’s a bit much. The first homemade CD I created was trimming Emancipation down to one disc.