Arts and Culture organisations and individuals declare a Climate and Ecological Emergency
This toolkit explains why and helps you take part
How to join
Culture Declares Emergency launched on 3rd April, with the first wave of 193 declarers announced. The image above shows a glimpse of the launch, with a procession around key London cultural venues and declarations at each stop. For more see this short film and a clip of Zena Edwards singing. Since this event, more than 100 have registered to declare and you can too.
Register to declare
- Fill in the form so that we can list you here and include you in any future announcements. Access the information and kitemarks to make your own announcement on your websites and social media.
- Use this toolkit to guide your process of deciding whether and how to declare, in consultation with your teams or board. Then write your statement, using this Declaration template to provide a basis for your own text.
- If you have any questions about the process of declaring and what might arise for you, you can find some answers here in the toolkit and you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help spread the word and express your views
- Help invite other people/organisations to declare using #CultureDeclaresEmergency on social media. Follow @CultureDeclares on Twitter, follow us on Instagram and ‘like’ the Facebook page.
- One of the first Culture Declares events, Letters to the Earth took place on 12th April. Over 50 venues hosted readings selected from over 1000 letters by members of the public. A selection of Letters and a curated 20 minute piece are available here online for performances during International Rebellion. #LettersToTheEarth
- If you’re a blogger or journalist interested to cover this initiative, get in touch on email@example.com See some past Press Releases here.
Take it further and organise
This is a global movement, inclusive of all kinds of culture and creative practice. Under the banner of Culture Declares Emergency, you could organise:
- a local or national group e.g. 'Culture Declares [your city]'
- an initiative to encourage a particular form of practice or identity group to declare and respond e.g. 'Museums Declare'
- a creative participatory project to raise awareness of the emergency and invite ideas
This toolkit has been created by a growing group of practitioners, aiming to inspire and support the Arts & Culture sector to join in declaring a Climate and Ecological Emergency. It draws on a range of expertise about the contribution of Arts & Culture to respond to the planetary emergency, combines material from Declarations by Extinction Rebellion and councils, and advice from Paul Allen of CAT. See more about the Rebellion starting on April 15th.