Your school counselors are available to meet with students to help them with a variety of personal issues. School counselors are trained in early intervention mental health crisis services and provide short-term counseling to address the social-emotional needs of students. Your school counselors can connect families with available community resources when more in-depth assistance is needed.
Conversations with a counselor are kept confidential, however there are a number of urgent situations which limit confidentiality:
- Threat of harm to oneself
- Threat of harm to another
- Any report of abuse or neglect or suspected abuse or neglect
- Reports of behavior which could reasonably lead to harm to self or others
- Court orders requiring disclosure