IN ORDER TO GIVE OUR BOYS THE BEST PROGRAM WE CAN, WE NEED TO FIRST GET
SOME QUICK TRAINING DONE TO "BE PREPARED" FOR OUR BOYS!!!
One of the keys to a successful scouting experience for our young boys is trained volunteer leadership. Pack 262, in conjunction with the Longhorn council and its various training committees, is committed to providing top quality training opportunities for all our Leaders, parents, and Scouts. Our pack committee is dedicated to help you increase your knowledge and skills so that you are better able to deliver a quality Scouting program to your son, and our entire youth membership.
Before parents can be considered “Trained” in our pack, we need the following training:
Log in to My.Scouting.org and, if needed, create a new user account. Once logged in, click on "Menu", then "My Dashboard". Then navigate to TRAINING CENTER listed directly under the Blue Bar labeled TRAINING. Choose CUB SCOUTS.
REQUIRED Online Training for all parents!
1. YPT – “Youth Protection Training.” This training is required by every parent in our pack, regardless of position.
2. “This Is Scouting.” This training will give you the basics of what Scouting is all about.
3. “Fast Start.” This training is leader or volunteer position specific, and provides an overview of the Cub Scouting program and its goals for Pack leadership and parents. Only required for new volunteers.
Optional Trainings include
4. “Leader Specific Training.” This training is specific to a position. Want to know what different responsibilities are? Check out the different “Leader Specific” courses.
When you first visit the My.Scouting.org website, you will create a login ID and password. The online profile you create will keep track of all of your online trainings. Once you are registered with BSA, you will receive your BSA ID and you will be able to update your profile.
These are specialized training opportunities that are offered to scout leaders and parents, by either our Topsanah District or the Longhorn Council, and cost a nominal fee. Boy Scouts of America requires one or more parent leaders in the pack to receive extra training and certifications for our pack to conduct or participate in outdoor activities. Based on parent commitment and demonstrated leadership, the pack committee offers a reimbursement program. Talk to a pack leader for more information.
- Texas YPT: The state of Texas mandates that all adult volunteers and parents attending a council level organized camp, attend and be certified on Texas Youth Protection. Face-to-face youth protection is a 1 hour class taught in person by a certified instructor which covers the details of how to recognize and prevent child abuse. The principal difference over the online version is that it is taught in a classroom session in an interactive way allowing for discussion within the group. A written test is administered as a part of the training. This is required training for Day Camps, Resident Camps, and High Adventure Camps.
- BALOO: “Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation”. This one day training course helps us be ready when we take our boys on outdoor activities
- OWL: “Outdoor Webelos Leader”. Training is for Webelos leaders. Webelo Scouts get to have a larger outdoor experience, and we need to be ready for all that will come our way. This is also an outdoor course. Normally a two day course held all day Saturday, until early Sunday afternoon. Dates are normally posted in online calendar
- Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS): Outdoor skills are critical to the success of the Scouting program, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills will provide leaders with the basic outdoor skills information needed to start a program right. A required outdoor training for Scout Master/Assistant Scout Masters/Ventures. A great program for Webelo leaders too. Normally a day and a half starting Friday evening, and all day Saturday.
- WoodBadge: The ultimate purpose of Wood Badge is to help adult leaders deliver the highest quality Scouting program to young people to help them achieve their highest potential. It models the best techniques for developing leadership and teamwork among both young people and adults. The highest level of adult Scout leader training available, takes six days, periodically spread over two weekends, but normally 6 days straight. Participants spend the first three days in a classroom setting, and the last three days camping.
- The Trainers' Edge: Designed to help Scouters understand the EDGE training model and gain self-confidence through hands-on training experiences.
Upcoming training opportunities
Follow the links to see more information on these training programs coming soon.
- Youth Protection Training (In-Person)
- BALOO Training. (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation)
- Outdoor Webelos Leader Training (OWL)
- Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS)
- WoodBadge Training ** Offered over two weekends
- Trainers Edge Training
IMPORTANT: Keep or print the Certifications that you receive from all training, and give or e-mail copies to your pack trainer, Heidi Downey. The pack Trainer keeps a record of all trainings as required by the Boy Scouts of America. Save your on-line training certifications to your computer, then attach to an email to Heidi. Or scan your certificates as PDF, JPG, BMP, then email as attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you received an e-mail recently from Heidi? If so, it's probably a reminder that she is missing your current certification for a required training course. Please help her and provide her copies of your current certification. Unfortunately, at this time, the BSA does not provide a mechanism for the pack trainer to view your training on-line.