The Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library, located in Gainesboro, Tennessee, in beautiful Jackson County (www.gainesborochamber.com), seeks a dedicated and experienced Library Director. In addition to two years of public library experience (college degree preferred), the following qualifications are required: knowledge of the principles of library science; organizational skills; experience in budgeting and policy development; knowledge/proficiency in computer systems; and ability to work well with Board of Trustees, public officials, schools and community organizations. You can access a copy of the full job description at http://www.crhmlibrary.org. The Library serves a population of approximately 11,000 with loyal patrons of all ages. In addition to a high volume of fiction and non-fiction, the library has a high quality collection of Jackson County historical books and documents. The Director is an employee of Jackson County with a base annual salary of $24,165 (benefits package available) and serves under the direct authority of the Library Board of Trustees.
Please submit written letter of application to Mr. George Cassetty, Vice Chair, Board of Trustees, Charles Ralph Holland Memorial Library, P.O. Box 647, Gainesboro, TN 38562. With your letter of application, please include your qualifications for the position, resume, and the names/contact information of two work-related references and one personal reference. To be considered for this position, applications must be received by February 22, 2019.
Library Director: Job Description
The library director is responsible for the management and operation of the library and its program of services in accordance with policies established by the Board of Trustees. The Director works in close cooperation with the Board, serving as an advisor and an active participant in policy and budget development, goal setting, planning, and evaluation. The Board of Trustees delegates to the Director the full authority in collection development, personnel administration, and the overall operation of the Library. The Director is directly accountable to the Board of Trustees and work is to be performed in accordance with established professional standards, and requires initiative and independent judgment within the framework of policies established by the Board.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes and directs overall activities of the library
- Supervises library staff and volunteers
- Manages the care of Library building and equipment
- Works closely with Board of Trustees, attends Board meetings, and provides written reports for presentation at Board meetings
- Works closely with the Board to create and/or update library policies and advises the Board of additional policies needed
- Implements library policies, procedures, goals and objectives adopted by the Board
- Manages acquisition of new materials, collections, and services based on needs of the patrons and community, the funds available and the Collection Development Policy
- Assists patrons locating reading material, electronic records and periodicals, use of computers and databases
- Prepares and manages annual budget in consultation with the Board and gives a current report of expenditures at each regular Board meeting
- Creates and implements services and programs to meet the needs of the community and to attract patrons (summer reading program for children, computer skills for senior citizens, etc.)
- Maintains amicable and professional working relationship with patrons, Board of Trustees, schools, and community organizations
- Plans and organizes book sales
- Creates library displays to promote authors, literature, events, etc.
- Administers petty cash, overdue charges, memorial contributions, etc., in accordance with Board policies and reports regularly to the Board on the status of these activities
- Maintains statistical records on materials circulation and usage of equipment and prepares report for presentation at Board meetings
- Prepares and submits reports as required by Regional Library and State Library and Archives
- Attend Board meetings except those in which performance or salary is to be discussed. Reports to the Board on all Library activities. Advises the Board of any needs, problems, or areas of concern.
- Participates in in-service training and professional development activities
- Works to secure grants when available for the Library to further the goals and objectives established in the long-range plan
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board
- High school diploma; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Without Degree, required to obtain certification through the Tennessee Public Library Management Certification process
- Library experience required
- Ability to hire and supervise employees and volunteers
- Computer knowledge and skills preferred
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Ability to meet and deal with the public
- Knowledge of library automation systems
- Basic knowledge of budgeting and accounting
- Basic knowledge of library reference sources, print and online
- Knowledge of cataloging and classification
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and present data clearly
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities that comprise this position.