Per Emmanuel Perry's Corsica, Expected Goals (xG) "stats are by-products of assigning goal expectancy to shots." The full post goes into much greater detail on his specific model, but the six criteria that make up xG data are:
- Shot type (wrist, slap, deflection, etc.)
- Shot distance
- Shot angle (Angle in absolute degrees from the central line normal to the goal line)
- Rebounds (Defined as "any shot taken within two seconds of uninterrupted game time of any other shot by the same team.")
- Rush shots (Defined as "any shot taken within four seconds of uninterrupted game time of any event occurring in the defensive zone OR within four seconds of uninterrupted game time of any giveaway or takeaway.")
- Strength when shot was taken
Note: The most current season will be the default selection in the below chart.