Starlogo Nova - introduction, lesson ideas, common bugs etc.
Starlogo Nova website : http://www.slnova.org
Engage students using the following
Video on Complex Systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4lov0SaFpI&feature=youtu.be
Setting up Student Accounts
1.Go to www.slnova.org
Click on Register
2. Click on the My Profile to change username - click on Edit User Settings and select and change username to their first name . No Spaces or strange characters - just firstnameLastInitial suggested. Add a number if there are duplicates.
Scratch vs Starlogo Nova comparison
Empty Socket message?
Why do you get this error
- something does not fit - see if the blocks are snapped in.
- you left a block empty
- you typed in a color instead of using the color block
All the code seems correct, not working - Refresh error.
Click on Profile to exit the project and then click and open the project again
Spaceland is gone -
Click on Reset camera
Resize the browser window to see them. Not working on Safari?
Can not scroll down,
click on the top of the page in the section above the Space land and then scroll
Still can not see the Frog or flies
- Did you use color block or just type in the color?
- Did you scatter it inside the create do block
Other things to watch out for
- Change Username : No spaces in username.
- Remember to Run Code each time you make changes
- Scatter - make sure it is inside the Create do block
- Color - never type in the color, use the block called color
Reference of the different blocks etc
- Possible extensions in order of complexity
- Take Camera on Frog
- Add more frogs with different random colors
- Make flies of random size or colors
- Add key controls so frog moves to right and left based on right and left arrows
- Add code so frog grows in size
- Add code so Score of flies eaten updates
- Add code so get a message - No more flies when all flies are eaten
- Add a ‘random’ z amount,so flies fly at different heights
- Add code so frog will jump when you press the space key (so can eat flies at different levels)
- Add snakes that eat the frogs
- Add a graph so you can see the number of flies over time
SOLUTIONS TO EXTENSIONS: CATCHING FLIES
- screenshots below of code from World, Frog, Flies