- Baseline - The line at the back of the pickleball court (22 feet from the net).:A-4
- Centerline - The line bisecting the service courts that extends from the non-volley line to the baseline.:A-4
- Crosscourt - The opponent's court diagonally opposite a player's.
- Dink - A dink is a soft shot, made with the paddle face open, and hit so that it just clears the net and drops into the non-volley zone.:52
- Fault - An infringement of the rules that ends the rally.:xxii
- Foot fault - Stepping on or into the non-volley zone while volleying a ball, or, while serving, failure to keep both feet behind the baseline with at least one foot in contact with the ground or floor when the paddle contacts the ball.:xxii,61, A-11
- Half-volley - A type of hit where the player hits the ball immediately after it has bounced in an almost scoop-like fashion.
- Kitchen - The non-volley zone which is 7' from the net on both sides is commonly referred to as “the kitchen.” Players may not enter the kitchen to return a ball unless the ball first bounces.:2-3, 31-32
- Lob - Hitting the ball in a high arc to the back of the opponent's court. Ideally designed to clear an opponent who has advanced toward the net.
- Net serve - A serve that touches the top of the net and lands in the proper service court (it is replayed without penalty).
- Non-volley zone - A seven-foot area adjacent to the net within which you may not volley the ball. The non-volley zone includes all lines around it.:A-4 Also called the "kitchen".
- Poach - In doubles, to cross over into your partner's area to make a play on the ball.
- Rally - Hitting the ball back and forth between opposite teams.
- Serve (service) - An underhand lob or drive stroke used to put a ball into play at the beginning of a point.
- Server number - When playing doubles, either “1” or “2,” depending on whether you are the first or second server for your side. This number is appended to the score when it is called, as in “the score is now 4 - 2, second server”.
- Sideline - The line at the side of the court denoting in- and out-of-bounds.:A-4
- Side-Out - occurs when the serve moves to your opponent’s side.
- Volley - To hit the ball before it touches the ground and bounces.