The Clinton And Kalamazoo Canal
"This canal, conceived at the peak of the era of canal-building, was part of Michigan's internal improvements program which was announced in 1837. The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal would make it possible to cross southern Michigan by boat from Lake St. Clair to Lake Michigan. On July 20, 1838, construction began at Mt. Clemens amid much fanfare. Hard times, however, soon made it difficult to sell bonds to finance the canal. When excavation reached this point [Rochester] in 1843, the money ran out and all work ceased. With the coming of railroads, support for the canal vanished. The completed part was little used." Text from the Michigan State Historical Marker which was moved from its original location at Bloomer Park to Yates Cider Mill Park.
The Clinton And Kalamazoo Canal Society
The purpose of the Society is to aid in the discovery, collection, and preservation of any historical materials connected to or associated with the Clinton and Kalamazoo Canal, Michigan, and surrounding areas.
c/o Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm, 1005 Van Hoosen Rd, Rochester, MI 48307, 248-656-4663