Get Out – Jordan Peele – 2017
1. What are some things that the Director does to get you as the audience (in Chris’ perspective) to trust Rose?
2. What did you think about the way that Rose’s dad was going on and on about deers? Did it sound familiar to conversations you hear about races or ethnicities of people?
3. Looking back, how do you feel about the way Rose’s dad pointed out the horror of Hitler’s regime, knowing that he’s literally stealing Black people’s lives?
4. Can you think of inappropriate questions (like the ones Chris is asked at the party) that people may have asked you without realizing how inappropriate they are?
5. When did you realize that Rose was not on Chris’ side?
6. What was your initial reaction when you saw police lights at the end? How is it different than when you may have seen police lights at the end of a horror movie like Scream where there is a white woman protagonist? How does being in Chris’ “eyes” change it?
7. Looking back at when Rose told Chris not to give his ID to the cops, was she calling out the racism or trying to protect herself? If she was trying to protect Chris, do you think she could have actually made him less safe by arguing?
8. Why are Walter and Georgina treated as servants even though they are family? Even when Chris is not looking, they seem to be doing labor. Why do you think that is?
9. Why is it so important that Chris is a photographer?