Rebel Without a Cause - Nicholas Ray - 1955
1. Watch the title sequence of the film (which lasts 1 minute and 23 seconds) and discuss how it contributes to our understanding of the film. How does the title sequence represent youth and why?
2. Comment on what the Griffith Park Observatory sequence signifies.
3. Comment on why the film is called “Rebel without a Cause”.
4. Discuss who could be the real rebel in the film.
5. What do you think about the ending of the film? What message could it give to the audiences as far as youth and adults are concerned? Discuss to what extent you agree with this.
6. Discuss how the film explores the theme of masculinity.