Dirty Dancing - Emile Ardolino - 1987
1. How do the characters in Dirty Dancing express themselves through dance? What do they say through dance that they're unable to say in words?
2. The first line of the film is, "That was the summer of 1963, when everybody called me Baby, and it didn't occur to me to mind." Why should Baby mind being called Baby? Do you think she'll ever go by her real name, Frances?
3. Johnny initially doesn't like Baby. What changes his mind?
4. Why did Johnny become a dancer? How does dancing allow him to transcend his lower-class status?
5. Is Baby's relationship with Johnny authentic? Do you think part of it is rebellion against her parents and what they stand for?
Shmoop Editorial Team. "Dirty Dancing Questions." Shmoop. Shmoop University, Inc., 11 Nov. 2008. Web. 8 Oct. 2018.