The Shawshank Redemption - Frank Darabont - 1994
1. Throughout the film, there are several instances of guard brutality. Do you think this still happens? If so, how do you feel about it? Is some physical form of punishment acceptable?
2. What does Andy helps dozens of his fellow inmates obtain during their time in prison?
3. Given that Andy was a prisoner and would be punished if he didn’t, do you think it was ethical for him to assist the warden? Why or why not? Did he have a choice? Why or why not?
4. At what point in the movie did you believe that Andy was innocent? Why did you draw that conclusion?
5. Andy and Red develop a close friendship throughout the film, during a period in time (1950-1965) when segregation was still common. What aspects of each of their character do you think helped bring them together?
6. What did you think of the quality of prison life? Which conditions would you consider unacceptable? Why?
7. What is the significance of the title Shawshank Redemption? Which characters is the title intended for?
8. What scene(s) in The Shawshank Redemption was the most meaningful for you? Why?