2018 CIE/USA – SEA Annual Convention
2018 CIE/USA – Seattle Annual Convention has been scheduled on the September 8, 2018 at the Bellevue Westin hotel. Highlighted celebration activities include keynote speeches, Asian American Luminary Awards (AALA), APA Youth Scholarship Awards, Business Exhibition, comprehensive “How New Technology Will Transform Your Life” seminars, Education & Civic Engagement seminars, social Cocktail Reception and a scrumptious Award Dinner. For event registration or just join the CIE/USA – Seattle as a member, please visit the flyer at right or the links provided above.
2018 CIE-SEA Convention Seminars
- 13:00-13:40 Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Aviation Industry
- (Dr. Anne Kao, Senior Technology Fellow, the Boeing Company)
- Abstract: Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the fastest growing fields in computer science, and the hottest topic in modern technology, promising to revolutionize our daily lives. However, with all the excitement comes a lot of hype, and it becomes hard to tell what’s reality and what’s science fiction; has the “HAL 9000” arrived? In this talk, we’ll review briefly the evolution of AI, its past and current state, and where we see its successes. We will also discuss applications of AI in aviation industry and how it might impact our daily life and people’s careers.
- 13:40-14:20 Microsoft Xiaoice – Breakthrough in EQ and Conversational AI
- (Ying Wang, Director of Microsoft Global Xiaoice)
- Abstract: The way we interact with our devices is changing rapidly and we’re now beginning to witness the early days of a transition to the next big shift in computing—one that is fueled by the advent of AI and built around a behavior that is most natural to humans—conversations and EQ. With the innovation of Xiaoice, Microsoft has rapidly made progresses in advancement of the EQ oriented conversational technology and applications. In four years, Xiaoice product lines had 6 iterations, launched in 5 markets, is recognized as the top social conversational AI globally with 660M user base, active on 14 top consumer platforms globally. Her EQ oriented conversational capability, full duplex voice sense and real-time vision enable Xiaoice(s) to be omnipresent in IM chat, in groups, on IoT devices as a companion and assistant. Enhanced with AI creation, Xiaoice(s) are also active TV show/radio program host(s) in regular programs, a rising poet, song writer & singer with first album release. We will share our learnings and our vision to see how Xiaoice(s) will continue to participate in human society and business ecosystems.
- 14:20-15:00 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Automation
- (Dr. Roberto Lu, Vice President at TE Connectivity)
- Abstract: Modern manufacturing is very different from the Ford Model T, which you can order any car you like as long as their colors are all black! In our modern automation, flexibility together with speed are essential, given that they conflict to each other naturally. In addition to the flexibility and speed, or Mass Customization, artificial intelligence has been gaining practical value and in use in many industries and business practices. Artificial Intelligence with Machine Learning is revolutionize our industry today. There are multiple data sources quoted that many today’s jobs will disappear in less than 10 years and new types of jobs will be needed. Why is artificial intelligence and machine learning important to automation? Imaging that computing power can automatically managing complicated automation tasks with intelligence via self learning? What are the devices may help us to enable such learning? This presentation will illustrate couple examples with initial successes.
- 15:00-15:40 The Evolving U.S.-China Relationship in 2018: What Career and Business Effects Can Chinese American Engineers Expect?
- (Nelson G. Dong J.D., Partner, Dorsey’s Corporate Group)
- Abstract: Despite their efforts to establish some working relationship, President Donald Trump and President Xi Jinping are facing an unprecedented level of tension and disagreement between the United States and China. What can these sharp differences in national industrial policy, regard for intellectual property, views in sovereignty and national security, trade and economics and global business practices mean for Chinese American engineers working in the technology sector? Nelson Dong, a member of CIE-Seattle’s Board of Advisors and a highly respected international technology attorney at the Dorsey & Whitney law firm, will review these current bilateral disagreements between the U.S. and China (including many recent U.S. legal changes) and explain their potential impacts upon the careers and businesses of many Chinese American technologists in industry as well as in higher education and government service. Nelson will draw his talk not only from his more than 40 years of practical international legal experience but also from his service as a long-time director of the Washington State China Relations Council and the National Committee on US-China Relations and as a member of the Committee of 100.
- 13:00-13:40 Opportunities and Challenges in Cross-border Innovation)
- (Amy Du, CEO of VestLink)
- 13:40-14:20 Entrepreneurship Opportunities in AI Field
- (Amanda Guo, Global VP of Sugon)
- 14:20-15:00 From Molecules to MW Batteries – A Journey Turning Lab Discovery into Commercial Products
- (Gary Yang, Founder and CTO of UniEnergy Technologies)
Session 3a (13:00-14:30):Interests, Extracurricular and Passion (Lake Coeur'd Alene)
- Extracurricular Activities in Light of College Admissions
- (Myungkee Min, Chief College Admissions Counselor at Dr. Min's Education Consulting)
- Let Kids Decide Their Own Future
- (YP Chan, Principal at Chanden Inc.)
- Learn and Grow with Allen
- (Wenge Zhang, Founder of Seattle Institute of Education)
Session 3b (14:30-16:00): Civic Engagement and Opportunities for High School Student
- Community Engagement Through Dialog
- (Conrad Lee, Bellevue City Council Member)
- American Creed (Edwin Ong, Mayoral Intern) + Panel Discussion (Interns)
Annual Convention Banquet (Grand Ballroom B & C)
04:00 pm to 05:00 pm Reception
05:00 pm to 06:00 pm Evening Banquet Registration
06:00 pm to 06:10 pm Convention Greetings
06:10 pm to 06:40 pm Special Tribute to Mayer Edward Lee
06:40 pm to 07:30 pm Banquet Dinner
07:30 pm to 07:50 pm Keynote Speech: Jennette Ramos, Senior VP, Boeing
“Ready for the Age of Disruption”
07:50 pm to 08:00 pm Special Guest Speaker David Ku, VP, Microsoft
08:00 pm to 08:50 pm Asian American Luminary Award
08:50 pm to 09:20 pm 16th Annual APA Youth Scholarship Award
09:20 pm to 09:30 pm Closing Remark
2018 The 16th CIE/USA- Seattle Youth Scholarship Awardees
2018 Asian American Luminary Awardees
CIE/USA – SEA would like to express its sincere appreciation to the following companies for their sponsorship, commitments or supports in making this year’s Convention a successful one.
TECO-SF Science Division
Chang-E, CHIME, Nanhai, SEC, VestLink
Partner event: Pathway Foundation Annual Conference
Is your child interested in gaining leadership skills, working on community projects, and learning more about civic engagement with Council member Conrad Lee?
Join us for Pathway Foundation's first Annual Conference on August 17th at City Hall from 7 pm – 9:30 pm as we discuss how the Mayoral Internship under Council member Conrad Lee helps prepare high school students for college and beyond. Joining us will be former interns including Rhodes Scholar and Yale graduate Mason Ji and Bellevue School District IB Coordinator Karen Roper.
If interested, please register at www.pathwayus.org/summerevent. We hope to see you there!
Click here for details!
2018 Asian American Luminary Awards
Open nomination period: June 1 – July 22, 2018
Award ceremony: Sept. 8, 2018 at Westin Bellevue
Asian American Luminary Award (AALA) is a platform to honor and celebrate outstanding Asian American professionals and leaders with high achievements and contributions in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) within Pacific Northwest.
Asian American Corporate Leadership Award
Recognizes an individual who has outstanding leadership in developing products or services in the Award Fields
Asian American Entrepreneurial Achievement Award
Recognizes an individual who owns at least 10 percent or more of a thriving business with strong financial growth in the Award Fields
Asian American Science and Engineering Innovation Award
Recognizes a well-established engineer or scientist having significant contributions in his/her technical field through innovation
Asian American Services Award
Recognizes an individual who has consistently demonstrated qualities of leadership and community engagement/services, creating connections between people and organizations in order to enhance STEM related career paths in the community
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Jun 23, 2018
2018 The 16th CIE/USA- Seattle APA Youth Scholarship Competition
To promote career interests of Asian Pacific American (APA) youth in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) as well as to encourage their continued contributions to our community and society, CIE/USA-Seattle chapter organizes scholarship opportunity annually.
2. Scholarship Award Categories
a. CIE Scholarship Award
- Category 1: 7th graders to 9th graders $300 per award
- Category 2: 10th graders to 12th graders $600 per award
- Category 3: Undergraduate College Students $800 per award
b. CIE Special Award:
- Academic Excellence Award $100 per award
- Community Service Award $100 per award
- Extracurricular Excellence Award $100 per award
3. Applications and Award Schedule
- Application Deadline: Jun 23, 2018
- Awards Announcement: Jul 31, 2018
- Awards Ceremony: Sep 8, 2018 (CIE/USA-Seattle Annual Gala Award)
April 22, 2018 and June 3, 2018
ROAD-to-COLLEGE Seminars (registration)
2018 Chinese Institute of Engineers (CIE)/USA-Seattle education seminars (www.cie-sea.org)
美洲中国工程工程师学会（CIE-USA）西雅图分会有幸邀请到亚太裔奖学金(CIE APA YOUTH SCHOLARSHIP)获得者来现场分享大学申请的成功经验，并请专家现场解读成功的原因。
这几位去年奖学金的获奖者；来自Bellevue, Lake Washington 和Seattle等学区，今年分别被加州理工(CalTech)、哥伦比亚大学(Columbia)、哈佛大学及宾州大学沃顿商学院(UPenn Wharton)录取。
Do you have kid(s) in high school? Are you seeking ideas for his/her college application? You will find what you need at CIE's ROAD-to-COLLEGE education seminars.
Chinese Institute of Engineers / USA - SEATTLE has the honor to invite CIE APA YOUTH SCHOLARSHIP winners to share their successful experience ofcollege application, and expert counselors to explain the reasons behind their success.
Last year's CIE scholarship winners came from local school districts, e.g. Bellevue, Lake Washington and Seattle. They have been admitted this year byCalTech, Columbia, Harvard and U Penn Wharton, respectively.
Stephanie Guo Columbia University
Angela Lin UPenn Wharton & Engineering
Anna Wang Harvard University
Iris Zhou UPenn Wharton
Diane Li Blaze Education
We welcome companies to sponsor our STEM activities which will benefit the next generation and beyond.
CIE/USA Seattle is a 501(c)(3) non-profit promoting professional and academic excellence in the Asian American community through annual programs across the Greater Seattle area:
- “Seattle Luminary Award” recognizing the global impact of local leaders
- Student & Young Professionals Mentoring Programs
- Asian Pacific American Youth Scholarship Program
- APA Youth Math & Science Programs
- “Bridging the Gap” University and College Lecture Series
- Annual CIE/USA - Seattle Convention and Speaker Series
- Professional Development Seminars
- Technical Professionals Social Events
“I applaud the Seattle Chapter of CIE for its commitment to innovation and excellence, as well as its ongoing support of young people.”
Christine Gregoire, Former Washington State Governor
“The Chinese Institute of Engineers has been a leading force in helping keep our American economy strong, vibrant and innovative.”
David G. Reichert, Representative for Washington State
“As members of CIE of Seattle, you help ensure diversity and strength in the workplace as well as the success of future APA engineers.”
Maria Cantwell, Senator for Washington State
none currently available