Clover Hill Comrades
Support Special Education Services at CHES
Seeking new members to support Special Education Services at CHES.
What We Do:
• Promote an inclusive school environment
• Support and promote Inclusive Schools Week: December 3-7, 2018
• Support teachers and staff of students with special educational needs
• Hold fundraiser Yard Sale on April 27, 2019
We will meet monthly during the regularly scheduled PTA meetings. Parents who would like to support special education services or learn about our committee are welcome to attend the monthly PTA meetings and/or reach out to any of our committee members via email.
For more information or to join, contact Lizzie Niedermayer.
Parent-Teacher Resource Center
Did you know?
Chesterfield County Public Schools provides a Parent-Teacher Resource Center to enhance communication among home, school and community. The center helps parents of students with disabilities understand special education and it helps teachers gain knowledge about diverse learners. Located at the Career and Technical Center at Hull (CTC@Hull), 13900 Hull Street Road, the center is open 7:30 AM- 4:00 PM. Extended hours of operation are available on Thursday evening. The center addresses issues including academic strategies, organizational skills, and communication. A list of books and videos can be found by using the PTRC online catalog. It also provides a list of tutors and links to community resources. To access these resources, go to the website at mychesterfieldschools.com, and then click on the link Parent-Teacher Resource Center.
Comrades Local Events and Resources
Sparkle Effect Cheer Team
Cosby has a Sparkle Effect team and they are looking for additional cheerleaders. Click here for more info.
Special Education Advisory Committee
The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) – a special advisory committee that reports to the School Board – meets on the second Wednesday of each month at the Career and Technical Center at Hull, 13900 Hull Street Road Midlothian, VA 23112. The meeting starts at 5 pm and ends by 6:30 pm and is held in room A256. Monthly meetings are open to the public and public comment is welcome.
Major activities and functions of SEAC representatives:
- Advise the School Board of unmet needs in the education of students with disabilities.
- Assist in the development of long-range plans for providing needed services to students with disabilities.
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting identified needs.
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations through the Superintendent to the School Board.
- Assist in interpreting to the community the school system’s plans for meeting the needs of students with disabilities.
- Review the school system’s annual special education plan before it is submitted to the School Board.
Community members may appear at the SEAC meeting to submit comment or may provide the comments in writing to the Chair. Public comment is limited to three (3) minutes per speaker with a maximum of fifteen (15) minutes during the designated time on the agenda. Enter through door 1 (facing Hull Street Road). Comments may also be emailed to email@example.com, or call (804) 639-8918 for details.
VCU Center for Autism Excellence
Incredible info for those impacted by autism as well as other disabilities, including archived webcasts.
Archived Webcasts: http://www.vcuautismcenter.org/training/webcasts/archives.cfm
Upcoming Webcasts: http://www.vcuautismcenter.org/training/webcasts/upcoming.cfm
Additional Helpful Links
- Tips for Parents when your Child with a Disability Turns 18
- Virginia Chesterfield Medicaid Waiver
- Richmond Kickers offers a local soccer program for children with disabilities.
- Parent Educational Advocacy Training Center